• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Andyfx

Andyfx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

Traded up my ed70 for a nice new Explorer 130pds, as Starlock knows, I'm trying to keep my rig fairly lightweight and only image anyway. Just waiting on a nice brass compression ring for the focuser then i'll be looking for a clear sky and Andromeda again :-)

May relocate the guidescope but will see how it goes.
Scope.jpg

#2 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

New toys are always great!

Opening them and then putting them to use etc...

Enjoy the new scope Andy, let us know when you get first light!

Clear skies

Neil

#3 Andyfx

Andyfx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

Cheers Neil, will do and will hopefully have some images to post soon :-)

#4 klaatu2u

klaatu2u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

Congrat's on the new imaging gear, focuser looks large from this perspective - nice!  Look forward to seeing our results.

• Andyfx likes this

Jim in Portland, OR.  Some images I've taken

14" Orion goto Dob that amazes me for visual, Lots of eyepieces, and a few binoculars

A few nice refractors and 8300M CCD with full set Astrodon filters 5nm Ha, 3nm SII and OIII -->Veloce RH200 f/3 on order :)

A 'ROR' and a concrete pier in my white LP zone backyard observatory where I image from (yes, in the city!)

TheSky6, Skytools3 pro, MaxImDL pro, Photoshop CS5, PSP7 with PhotoX2, many shelves of Guides, Atlas, handbooks, you name it...

#5 Andyfx

Andyfx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

Thanks! Can't wait for the last bit to come and get cracking. My ed70 provided a vast field with the TRF2008 but, according to the fov calculator, i should still get a more than adequate field with this scope too.

#6 Starlock

Starlock

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

If you get clear skies before the compression ring arrives I wouldn't rule out giving the thumb screws a gentle go. My Baader MPCC doesn't have a mark on it and I use the standard thumb screws. Its a bit surprising really because if you use EP's with thumbscrews instead of a compresion ring they seem to mark straight the way! I won't let some of my EP's near thumb screws.

#7 Andyfx

Andyfx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

Not to worry, the compression ring is now installed. Aside from a few burrs on the thread that needed cleaning off, it's a fine upgrade to the Explorer 130PDS focuser and makes me happier that my dslr isn't going to drop out lol.

Just need to do the washer mod on the secondary at some point, but first i need a clear night to test it. I've already sorted out any balancing issues so can't wait :-)

#8 Andyfx

Andyfx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

Washer mod has been done now on the secondary and the scope re-collimated. Just in case anyone's interested, an M8 x 30mm washer is adequate for the Explorer 130PDS. I didn't bother with that drilling as it's unnecessary, i simply siliconed the washer to the secondary housing. All you need do is make sure the washer is central to the housing so i doesn't foul the spring, then reassemble. The washer doesn't need blacking as it is not visible or in the light path.

#9 Andyfx

Andyfx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

After days of waiting, i finally got first light last night, albeit not for long. I popped the new firmware on the HEQ5, set up, polar aligned, star aligned, used the polar align routine on the handset, re-star aligned and then managed a whole 8 minutes of imaging before the clouds rolled in lol. Am hoping for better luck tonight! Still, the results look very promising, good star shapes etc so can't wait to get some proper data.

#10 klaatu2u

klaatu2u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:15 AM

Glad to hear you are getting to first light the setup - look forward to your results.

• Andyfx likes this

Jim in Portland, OR.  Some images I've taken

14" Orion goto Dob that amazes me for visual, Lots of eyepieces, and a few binoculars

A few nice refractors and 8300M CCD with full set Astrodon filters 5nm Ha, 3nm SII and OIII -->Veloce RH200 f/3 on order :)

A 'ROR' and a concrete pier in my white LP zone backyard observatory where I image from (yes, in the city!)

TheSky6, Skytools3 pro, MaxImDL pro, Photoshop CS5, PSP7 with PhotoX2, many shelves of Guides, Atlas, handbooks, you name it...

#11 Andyfx

Andyfx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

Thanks, and here are the first results from last night  :D

http://www.insideast...8-heart-nebula/

#12 Andyfx

Andyfx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

http://www.insideast...-nebula-repost/

#13 Andromeda

Andromeda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Location3rd Rock from the Sun (The Netherlands)

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

I wish you a lot of success and fun with the new telescope Andy! :-)

Will/Andromeda
  • Andyfx likes this

#14 Andyfx

Andyfx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

Cheers Will :-)

Thank you for your interest in our Astronomy Forum...
It looks like you haven't joined us yet?
Why don't you register to get all the features of being a member! Its free!