#1 klaatu2u

klaatu2u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

Well, if your skies are clear  and no trees in the way :)  though not really a 'SLAP' observer I really, really enjoy the planets / Luna and they do occupy a large portion of my eyepiece time.  This summer I bought a new goto Dob/Newt to see how it punches through my LP (I am disabled - cannot drive - so all my activity done from here at home in the city with 'white zone' LP) and as far as that goes planetary observing never a problem. 

If I compare - here on west coast US I often have more stable skies in the early morning before and including civil twilight.  I am looking forward to comparing the 14" Newt to my 160mm TEC on planetary resolution and detail.  We had a remarkably clear mid summer here and I was extremely impressed with both scopes on Saturn, but the 14" just walked away in performance after a point.  If the results are similar on 'the king' I'll be very pleased!  Excited!

The main reason I bought this particular Dob/Newt is because it has goto / tracking and didn't break the bank.  I like the advantage of not needing to nudge the tube / mount or twist the slo-mo cables at highest mags the atmosphere will allow.  Even when seeing a bit wavy or 'inconsistent' those brief periods of clarity make it all worthwhile.

My last large aperture scopes were all SCt's - at least from about Y2K on, and though (apo) refractors have a hard earned and well deserved reputation for planetary I find even my 160TEC left me wanting for resolution and detail, plus at the very highest mags the exit pupil get tiny - example with a 5mm ep the exit pupil near 0.6mm - and at that mag ~250x it's not unrealistic for here when seeing reasonable.

In contrast the 14" scope with a 5mm ep gives about 1mm exit pupil and near 327x, with a 6mm it just improves the exit pupil (~1.3mm) while putting the working mag into a more forgivable region of ~270x.

Ok, I feel better now.... in short I'm excited!

Jim in Portland, OR.  Some images I've taken

14" Orion goto Dob that amazes me for visual, Lots of eyepieces, and a few binoculars

A few nice refractors and 8300M CCD with full set Astrodon filters 5nm Ha, 3nm SII and OIII -->Veloce RH200 f/3 on order :)

A 'ROR' and a concrete pier in my white LP zone backyard observatory where I image from (yes, in the city!)

TheSky6, Skytools3 pro, MaxImDL pro, Photoshop CS5, PSP7 with PhotoX2, many shelves of Guides, Atlas, handbooks, you name it...

#2 Starlock

Starlock

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

I share you're excitement, I'm looking forward to trying out a couple of nice circle T ortho's I've picked up recently on the planets. 14" goto Dob sounds wonderful, be sure to let us know how Jupiter fairs with it :) 

Oh yeah, and if you get a chance to take a pic of the 14" scope I'm sure we would all like to see it :)

Chris

#3 tich

tich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNorthamptonshire.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

I saw it again last weekend from the dark site that we go to, I go there a lot now as observing from home is a real pain with lights & obstacles. I couldn't see much detail as it was quite low but the moons themselves were in a nice formation with 3 on the left in a triangular formation & one on the right. I can't wait to start imaging it again. :)

• Neil likes this

Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher 250P, Skywatcher ST80, Celestron C6 SCT,
Zenith 10x50 Bins, NEQ6 Pro & EQ5, Canon 1000D Unmodded & Modded Canon 1000D, QHY5L-II & Philips SPC.
Various Hyperion Eyepieces & MKII Zoom Plus Other Scopes & Bits & Bobs.
darksite2_zps11a734b0.gif
http://centralmidlandstargazers.com/

#4 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

For me the planets are a Mewlon target which has never disappointed my, although I have never looked at it from the "exit pupil" point of view!

My favourite eyepiece is a 25mm Takahashi LE which gives me 100x magnification. I'll up that to around 250x with the Celestron Ultima Barlow. finally if things are looking good I will put the DMK21 on and start imaging...

Lets hope you all get some nice clear skies this winter.

Regards

Neil.

#5 klaatu2u

klaatu2u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

tich - very nice animation there :)  I am thinking I may try the Dob/Newt for planetary but need to get a different camera, I've had an Orion SSI3 that I was unhappy with - would love to get a one of the IS products as I see the best images with them it seems?

Neil - Which Tak Mewlon do you own and how do you find collimation and cooling on it?  I've read high praise on these by some other experienced observers, but too that they found collimation difficult or touchy?

Am curious about the IS DMK's  - and see they are up to model 51 now.  I suppose my biggest question is if going mono and filters, which  / what filter wheel do folks use and how is it attached?  Also taking a look at the 'Skyris' new offering from Celestron, any other suggestions for mono?

It has been a terrible month for imaging here and so I've just been peeking through the eyepiece when clouds part, but more often just using my smaller handheld binoc's.

14" Orion goto Dob that amazes me for visual, Lots of eyepieces, and a few binoculars

A few nice refractors and 8300M CCD with full set Astrodon filters 5nm Ha, 3nm SII and OIII -->Veloce RH200 f/3 on order :)

A 'ROR' and a concrete pier in my white LP zone backyard observatory where I image from (yes, in the city!)

TheSky6, Skytools3 pro, MaxImDL pro, Photoshop CS5, PSP7 with PhotoX2, many shelves of Guides, Atlas, handbooks, you name it...

#6 klaatu2u

klaatu2u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:38 AM

Still having to settle for binoc's... but it's getting close to where my new dob can reel it in... anticipation!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jupiter, resolution and detail

Thank you for your interest in our Astronomy Forum...
It looks like you haven't joined us yet?
Why don't you register to get all the features of being a member! Its free!