#1 klaatu2u

klaatu2u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:35 AM

Hi folks,

I know it's a relatively small community here but wanted to ask about these two mount designs and am only interested in hearing from folks using them.  I am at some point in the not too distant future going to upgrade from my Mach1 to a 'more modern' mount.  Candidates are the SB PMX and then the ASA or the 10micron brands.  As for the SB I have a pipeline to some users and am good there.  But I do not know anyone personally using the other two brands and the other forum I haunt has been in the past a terrible place for these two mounts to get anything like a fair airing. 

At home here my imaging sky is a sort of stripe going N<->S with a high horizon to both E and W of maybe 45*.  So I do not have the ability to choose stars low to horizon for any point modeling or drifting, but i do have a good view of Polaris.  It is a very difficult at best environment for anything needing a lot of stars in wide angle separations.  But it can be permanent mounted and that does have benefits as far as refining over nights of use?

As the manuals and low hanging fruit (basic spec's, prices) are on the web, i don't need to know what is in them so much as what did a user find good or bad, difficult or easy, time needed to learn the mount, setup to get imaging 'spec' tracking, use of guiding or not... cone error *(modeling out), software / updating (here i know these have two very different conceptions but would like to know more) and ASCOM compatibility with programs like MaxImDL and TheSky6 or X. 

I am not expecting to buy something that I can mindlessly use, i expect to need to read the manual at least once, possibly another time or two while using... heck I've had to do that with my Mach1.

Anyway - thanks for reading and if you can contribute I'd be thankful.

• Neil likes this

Jim in Portland, OR.  Some images I've taken

14" Orion goto Dob that amazes me for visual, Lots of eyepieces, and a few binoculars

A few nice refractors and 8300M CCD with full set Astrodon filters 5nm Ha, 3nm SII and OIII -->Veloce RH200 f/3 on order :)

A 'ROR' and a concrete pier in my white LP zone backyard observatory where I image from (yes, in the city!)

TheSky6, Skytools3 pro, MaxImDL pro, Photoshop CS5, PSP7 with PhotoX2, many shelves of Guides, Atlas, handbooks, you name it...

#2 klaatu2u

klaatu2u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

Just bumping this if that is ok in hopes someone can comment?

Jim in Portland, OR.  Some images I've taken

14" Orion goto Dob that amazes me for visual, Lots of eyepieces, and a few binoculars

A few nice refractors and 8300M CCD with full set Astrodon filters 5nm Ha, 3nm SII and OIII -->Veloce RH200 f/3 on order :)

A 'ROR' and a concrete pier in my white LP zone backyard observatory where I image from (yes, in the city!)

TheSky6, Skytools3 pro, MaxImDL pro, Photoshop CS5, PSP7 with PhotoX2, many shelves of Guides, Atlas, handbooks, you name it...