#1 Captain Tweaky

Captain Tweaky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationSouthampton, UK

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:01 PM

This has been a project that has been in development for a couple of months. We have a dark sky site in the New Forest in Southern England. Unfortunately for me, it has no 'services' and sadly such niceties are essential for my well being!  :huh:

So I bought myself a small - 4ft W x 4ft H x 6ft L - box trailer and have converted it into my mobile astro-station and comfort break facility!!! It now has a small caravan window; electric heater; small electricity generator; mains input socket; internal light; porta-loo!!; shelves; fold-down computer station; small cooker; blackout blind; air mattress; sleeping bag; hot drinks, cereal, instant hot snacks and most important of all Chocolate Hobnobs (for the unenlightened - the best chocolate biscuit ever made!!!)

Now it's finally completed, here it is in all its glory:

The Mucky Duck 1-2.jpg

Not exactly a tardis - but bigger inside than it looks!

The Mucky Duck 3-4.jpg

Named 'The Mucky Duck' after that well known Open Cluster in the constellation of Scutum!!  :D

The Mucky Duck 5-6.jpg

Not a lot of room left once I'm sitting down inside!!!

And it's heavily insulated against the the great British Winter cold!! That's the blue stuff - it is made from backpackers insulated sleeping mats!

Yours aye - Cap'n

• Neil likes this

Captain Tweaky

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon; And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forbodings too; I'll see you on The Dark Side of the Moon

My Flickr site for all my astro images - and other stuff, if you'd care to take a look!

#2 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:55 PM

Looks like a most excellent astro accessory, Cap'n!  Certainly a step up from my shower tent :)

• Neil likes this

#3 Andromeda

Andromeda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Location3rd Rock from the Sun (The Netherlands)

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

I like the Mucky Duck! Splendid idea!

Will
  • Neil likes this

#4 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:56 AM

My bottom lip is starting to go... with envy

What a fantastic idea and I really do wish that I had one too! What plans do you currently have for the "Mucky Duck" when is her first proper event?

Clear Skies

Neil.

#5 Captain Tweaky

Captain Tweaky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

The project started out of a 'medical' necessity - i.e. pack everything up after a couple of hours and go home! :( As with many things, out of an acorn a mighty oak grew (hmmmm - should I have called it the 'Mighty Oak'? - Nah!  :wacko:) So the original motivator has become just a very minor aspect of its functionality! Total cost of a new trailer and all the gubbins - £2k or a little more than half the cost of a new Takahashi FSQ85!!! (Tak always reminds me of Vegas, Frisco, Merc, tacky etc etc  ;))

The general plan is to take the 'Mucky Duck' into the New Forest and do a reasonable number of hours imaging from that fairly dark sky site. First thing that has to happen though is a clear sky on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night!!!  :angry:

Anyway, pleased you like it Neil - Yours aye - Cap'n

• Neil likes this

Captain Tweaky

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon; And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forbodings too; I'll see you on The Dark Side of the Moon

My Flickr site for all my astro images - and other stuff, if you'd care to take a look!

#6 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

The New Forest is a great area for astronomy. Nice and dark and depending where you are you can be quite high!

We had a star party at MickD a while ago in the New Forest and we're lucky enough to get a couple of clear nights.

Good luck with the "Mucky duck" Cap'n

Clear Skies

Neil

#7 Andromeda

Andromeda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Location3rd Rock from the Sun (The Netherlands)

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

I have also been several times to the New Forrest (Beaulieu, Lyndhurst, Lymington). It is a wonderful and very beautiful area! We often rent a nice typical nice cottage in Lyndhurst. Captain Tweaky you are a lucky guy!
  • Neil and Captain Tweaky like this

#8 Carastro

Carastro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationSE London/Bromley

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

I want one.

Carole

• Neil and Captain Tweaky like this

#9 Steve

Steve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

That's kinda cool cap'n. Nice one.
Scopes
Eyepieces
Bins........other tat

#10 Captain Tweaky

Captain Tweaky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:06 PM

Still waiting for the elusive clear weekend evening!!!  :angry:

Yours aye - Cap'n

Captain Tweaky

Thank you for your interest in our Astronomy Forum...
It looks like you haven't joined us yet?
Why don't you register to get all the features of being a member! Its free!