• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mojorisen279

mojorisen279

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Hello everyone! My name is Joey and I'm a new member to the Lounge. I'm from Miami, FL. I have loved astronomy from the first time I saw what the sky looks like when you are far from city lights(something you don't experience much when you live in Miami). I haven't really had a chance to do much observing, but after joining an amateur club I realized that what I really wanted to do was Astrophotography. I'm in the process of saving money to get the equipment needed for AP, so feel free to look at my profile to see my forum topics to offer your advice on equipment which will be much appreciated. Also, feel welcome to add me as a friend. I look forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Neil and Andromeda like this

#2 Andromeda

Andromeda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Location3rd Rock from the Sun (The Netherlands)

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

Hi Joey from the Sunshine State!
Welcome to this astroforum! I am also looking around for which equipment I will purchase!
Several years ago I was in Florida and Miami. I was also 90 miles from Cuba (Key West) :-)
Love your sunny State. I am curious what you will purchase for your hobby! Looking forward to your next posts!

Will from the Netherlands (Europe)
  • Neil and mojorisen279 like this

#3 mojorisen279

mojorisen279

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:49 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome, Andromeda!

#4 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

Welcome to the forum Joey,

I guess at the moment we all wish we were in the Florida, northern Europe has just been batter by a huge storm with record wind speeds.

Anyway, back to the astronomy, not a lot of people really appreciate what most of us have lost due to light polution of the night sky. Its amazing to look up at a crystal clear dark night sky... Even I get lost because there are just too many stars, stars that I have never seen because of the light popultion. The best that I have ever seen the night sky is from the 8th stage at approximately 3000m on Mt Fuji. It was simply unbeleivable.

Astrophotography is an extremely demanding part of the hobby and depending what you want to do, it can cost you a small fortune. Your main investments are going to be the mount, ccd camera and then the telescope. I'd start with the shorter to medium focal length from 500mm to 1000mm to begin with. Look for secondhand equipment on: http://www.astromart.com . Astronomer tend to treat their equipment like new born babies. :lol: 

I look forward to discussing some more equipment options in details with you on the forum.

Clear Skies

Neil.

#5 mojorisen279

mojorisen279

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for the info, Neal! I have a few links to equipment I've looked at. If you're willing to look them over, let me know! Thanks again, and God bless!

#6 mojorisen279

mojorisen279

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

@Neal: I've actually been looking at Refractors in the 80-100mm range. The 80's I've been looking at, have focal lengths between 400-600mm...

• Andromeda likes this

#7 duskchaser

duskchaser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCentral France

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

Hi Joey, welcome to the forum.

The Skywatcher ED80 is a great scope, excellent optics, great for astro imaging with a DSLR or CCD and/or visual stuff too.

Easily transportable and only requiring a smallish mount.

Doug.

Doug.

6" Helios Refractor+Monorail focuser+ ST80 Guidescope+Baader guide rings.

Pier mounted NEQ6+EQMOD+Astrotortilla+CDC+Maxim DL 5+'V' filtered SBIG ST 7ME nabg.

Roll off obsy+warm room.

Photometry of Pre-Main Sequence + CV variable stars.

#8 klaatu2u

klaatu2u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

Hi from the 'other coast' home of the rust belt and us web footed pacific nor'westers!  I should add 'cloud belt' in there somehow.  Consider yourself a friend as I'm too lame to add folks but all in this hobby I consider a friend.

GREAT THAT YOU JOINED A LOCAL CLUB!  That is often the best first step when possible.

The imaging part of the hobby has been very active these last 5 years or so (at least for my life).  CCD's, DSLR, reducers, flatteners, and 'quad' lens scopes, filters and filtering, R/C and now Riccardi Honders... full frame imaging circles, and lots of software dedicated to capture and calibration, processing, and post processing images.  While you are learning all you can about those, take a good survey of mounts used for imaging - NO, NOT THE MARKETING HYPE - but more what folks use and recommend and why.  Imaging IMO is more about the mount than anything else.  Not saying you cannot do it with less than a SB, ASA, 10micron, or A-P - just that the mount you start with may have most to say of all your choices in how things proceed or not.  Auto-guiding can help immensely, but the less work it has to do the better.  Overall the 'good stuff' may appear quite expensive, and it is.  But it holds value very well when / if you decide to sell. 

Most important IMO is don't be in too much of a hurry because of a sale or a good looking price.  Whatever you decide on should be a system where all the parts are able to play nice together.  In the end that means the more you learn and know first, the wiser the $ spent.

Good luck with it all.  It is a great time to be jumping in, and there is a lot that can be made to work well.  I'm amazed we can take better images than were in my college textbooks back in the 70's and early 80's.

• Andromeda and mojorisen279 like this

Jim in Portland, OR.  Some images I've taken

14" Orion goto Dob that amazes me for visual, Lots of eyepieces, and a few binoculars

A few nice refractors and 8300M CCD with full set Astrodon filters 5nm Ha, 3nm SII and OIII -->Veloce RH200 f/3 on order :)

A 'ROR' and a concrete pier in my white LP zone backyard observatory where I image from (yes, in the city!)

TheSky6, Skytools3 pro, MaxImDL pro, Photoshop CS5, PSP7 with PhotoX2, many shelves of Guides, Atlas, handbooks, you name it...

Thank you for your interest in our Astronomy Forum...
It looks like you haven't joined us yet?
Why don't you register to get all the features of being a member! Its free!