#1 JimMinCT

JimMinCT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

Hey all,

Well, as discussed earlier, I've been waiting somewhat patiently for my new scope to arrive and the clouds, rain supplied in the packing slip.

These, I'm very happy to report, have been completed!

I had a chance to take the scope out twice.  The first time was just because I couldn't stand it any longer and fought the vile clouds...  No guiding, just 45 min of viewing and a total of 6 30 sec exposures.

This scope is sweet!  102mm, ED at f/6.

The FoV is about double that of the C6R, making it about 1.25° x ~3° as seen on the sensor of my Sony.  This opens up a whole new world of imaging to me without the need to do mosaics...

I first set it up and, after a 2+2 alignment with no Polar Align, slew to M45....  Wow!   What a nice view!  Stars were pinpricks on a black velvet background...  I did a star test to see what the diffraction rings looked like...  Inside showed >90% in the first ring with nice round concentric rings further in, back focus showed slightly less, I'd say about 80-85% in the first ring but not quite symmetrical with the in focus side.  Still all the rings were concentric and evenly spaced.  I believe it means I'm either under or over corrected slightly, but I'm not sure which.

The focuser is a joy to use and since the tube is so much shorter, the vibration is next to nothing.  

From the Seven Sisters, I tried for the target I've been imaging for the past 2 weeks off and on, M1...  I've never had good luck spotting it from my light polluted back yard before but, using #4 on the hand controller, and slewing back and forth a few times... Bingo!  It poped into view and I was able to see it head on, but better with averted vision.  Cool!!!   

After ogling the Crab for 15 mn or so, I tried for M42.  It was still slightly in the trees but I immediately could see it fill the view using my 2", 26mm Meade Wide Angle EP.  The Fan went from edge to edge   :)   :)   :)

The Trapezium was clearly split into the 4 stars and the nebulosity was drifting off in all directions!...  This is what we paid our money to see!!!!

Around this time I couldn't resist the urge to grab a shot of something!!!   So, with no PA, I was going to be limited....

This is what I got, 6 30 sec exposures on M42/M43

First pic with just a bit of denoising...  No flats  Second one after PI's HDR routine...  One click and the core is revealed...  Sweet! 

M42 M43 30m.jpg    M42 M43 30m rev 1.jpg

The second night, I was better prepared but still had issues...

Cable routing was a completely different affair with this short tube!  Hmmm.  Seem to have more wires and less scope!   :)

Got that straightened out, attempted to get a good balance...  Still working on that.

But, managed an hour's worth of 3 min subs on the Andromeda Galaxies.

Andromeda Galaxies 1 hr 102ED.jpg

Hopefully, I can double my time on this tonight....   :)

I do notice some coma in the corners, but it really doesn't start until about 70-80% of the way out, and some of that may be rotation due to poor polar alignment....  I was in a hurry!!!  So sue me!   :)  I don't see any, or nearly any CA in these images...  These look better than my Achro. with the UHC filter!

Anyway, I can't believe the performance of this fine scope for the $675 I paid, (with free shipping!!!)

The carbon fiber looks very sophisticated and professional.  The focuser is really nice, with rods inlaid into the outside of the inner draw tube where the bearings ride...  No marks on the draw tube!  Also there's a steel plate on the underside where the flat is located.  This is a very rigid setup with no slop or shift.  There's only one tension adjust ***** as opposed to the setups with a tension and a lockout.  With the ***** tightened down good and snug, the tube was very hard to move without using the *****...  The fine focus knob, however, seemed to work better when under high tension...  Very smooth.

pic 3.jpg

pic 4.jpg

pic 5.jpg

pic 6.jpg

pic 7.jpg

Two more points:

This scope is so short, it can't hit the tripod!!!  Joy oh Joy!!!  No more worries when imaging!!!

It's about half the weight of the C6R and the mount and motors are thanking me profusely for this...  Very quiet and stable.

The only thing I've found I don't like, (and I've already taken care of), was there's nowhere to mount a finder or SSAG on the focus Assy.  I had to go to Home Depot and get an 8mm x1.5 x 1" *****, drill out a bigger hole one of my finder bases, and ***** the shoe onto the first tube ring.  It works...  But I was used to having both the finder AND the SSAG mounted on the Beast!...  

I've just gotten this, so the honeymoon isn't over yet but, I think I'll have this one a long, long time....

Regards

Jim

• duskchaser and WilliamJek like this

Scopes:Kson 1026-C Carbon Fiber 4" ED  Refractor, Celestron C6R 150mm w/CG5 Mount, upgraded to GSO 112.5mm rotating focuser & 2" dielectric diagonal, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) EP's: 1.25: 10 & 20mm plossls, 40mm Kellner 2": 26mm QX wide angle, 1 1/4"x2 and 2"x2 ED Barlows Imaging: Sony Alpha350 SLT Software: DSS, PixInsight, PHD, Star Calc, Stellarium, Registax, PS CS5, Lightroom Stuff: 2" Celestron UHC Filter, Orion 50mm SSAG, Orion SkyGlow filter, various filters and other essentials...

#2 WarriorsDrink

WarriorsDrink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

It certainly looks a nice scope in that carbon finish. Well done on the new toy :)

#3 JimMinCT

JimMinCT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

Thanks...  I have a couple of threads with processed images floating around the forum if you'd care to take a look.  I'm very happy so far with the performance...  Very nice clean images, wide fields...   Ahhhhh....    Yep, I do like this scope.  :)

Scopes:Kson 1026-C Carbon Fiber 4" ED  Refractor, Celestron C6R 150mm w/CG5 Mount, upgraded to GSO 112.5mm rotating focuser & 2" dielectric diagonal, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) EP's: 1.25: 10 & 20mm plossls, 40mm Kellner 2": 26mm QX wide angle, 1 1/4"x2 and 2"x2 ED Barlows Imaging: Sony Alpha350 SLT Software: DSS, PixInsight, PHD, Star Calc, Stellarium, Registax, PS CS5, Lightroom Stuff: 2" Celestron UHC Filter, Orion 50mm SSAG, Orion SkyGlow filter, various filters and other essentials...

#4 duskchaser

duskchaser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

That's a nice looking scope Jim, great looking images too

• JimMinCT likes this

Doug.

6" Helios Refractor+Monorail focuser+ ST80 Guidescope+Baader guide rings.

Pier mounted NEQ6+EQMOD+Astrotortilla+CDC+Maxim DL 5+'V' filtered SBIG ST 7ME nabg.

Roll off obsy+warm room.

Photometry of Pre-Main Sequence + CV variable stars.

#5 Andromeda

Andromeda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

Hi Jim,

He posted this article in november. I have just read it now.
Very nice images, but the words you have used tells enough! You are very happy with this scope!

Looking forward to your new images!
Will
  • JimMinCT likes this

#6 astrodoc71

astrodoc71

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 508 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:25 AM

Congratulations and Merry Xmas! Nothing like this for the holiday! Nice images as well

Regards

Dave

daveandtelescope.wordpress.com

#7 JimMinCT

JimMinCT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

Thanks guys...

I love this hunk of carbon and glass!!!    I've been busy reprocessing images from the C6R as we've had nothing but junk for weather lately...

I tried to post a new pic, but I guess I have to start a new thread...

Thanks for the comments!

Regards

Jim

• Andromeda likes this