No replies to this topic

#1 woolbrig

woolbrig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

This was originally posted  in the Asto Equipment forum. Posting here with a little more "how to" info.

I had been looking for some solar filters for my 80ED for both viewing and photography, but was having a hard time finding ones that were affordable.  After reading how others had built their on filters, I decided to give it a try too.

After I got both versions of the Baader solar film (visual, photography) I needed a way to mount it on my scope.  During my search I came across these boxes on Amazon for only $4.59:

41i6VkdAHTL._SL500_SS100_.jpg(http://www.amazon.co...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1). 

The set includes 4/5/6 inch boxes.  It turns out that the 5" box is a perfect fit for the 80ED! (Amazon also has 8/9/10 inch boxes)

Here are the steps I used to create mine.  Hopefully it will help someone else.

1. Draw a circle on the lid of the box leaving about a ½” lip.  A role of packing tape turned out to be the right size for me.
  2. Using a razor knife cut out the circle.
  3. Repeat the above steps for the bottom of the box.
  4. The edges of the lip were a little rough so I used 400 grit sandpaper to smooth them out some.
  5. Not liking the brown color, I spray painted the box white.
  6. To get a tighter fit to the scope, I put a couple of layers of black electrical tape around the inside edge of the box.
  7. Place double sided tape on the lip of the box and on the inside lip of the lid.  Also wrap the diameter of the box with double sided tape at the edge of the box.  This will hold the film in place after assembling.
  8. Cut out the solar film.  For the Ed80 a 5 ½” square was the perfect size.
  9. Leave the protective cover on the film, place the box on the film and trace a circle.
  10. Using scissors make cuts all around the film to the circle traced above. This will allow the film to lay flat on the circle once the box lid is on
  11. Remove one side of the protective covering of the film and sit the box carefully in the center of the film.
  12. Flip the box over and press the cut edges of the film against the outside edge of the box so it is held in place by the tape.
  13. Place the lid of the box on top of the filter and you’re done!
  14. Since the 5" box was used, I painted the 6" box and use it to store the filter.

SolarFilter.jpg

SolarFilter2.jpg

Joe

Scopes: Celestron C9.25/Hyperstar, SkyWatcher 80ED Pro, WO Star-71 II Mounts: CGEM (Hypertuned), CG5  Guiding: Orion SSAG/ST80/Mini 50, OAG  Cameras: ASI120MC, ASI174MM, ASI224MC, Canon T3i (Baader Mod), QHY10, QHY23