M81 Bode's Galaxy

M81 Bode Galaxy Mewlon Focuser

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Darth Takahashi_*

Guest_Darth Takahashi_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Came back from Japan on Friday and had a clear night... So I setup the Mewlon with the new USB controlled focuser on M81, Bode galaxy in Ursa Major. It was a nice distraction and a good way to combat my jet lag. The skies were there usual mucky grey colour, not quite the dark black skies of winter that we are used too. This year so far there has been far too much moister in the sky. Are well if you wait for it to be perfect you will never image anything, right!

M81-Bode-Galaxy.jpg

This is approximately 4.5 hours with the Mewlon at F7.3

L = 1x1, 360sec x 18 (1.8 hours)

RGB = 2x2, 240sec x 12 (2.4 hours)

History

M81 was discovered by the German astronomer Johann Elert Bode in December 1774. Messier discovered the object 2 months later, both astronomers only describe the bright central core and at that time all galaxies were labelled as nebulas, since their true natural wasn't understood.

As alway, it could use some more integration time since the background is a little too noisy for my taste, however the clouds have already rolled in tonight, so this is it for now!

Clear Skies

Darth(Neil.)

#2 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:41 AM

Nice one, Neil! Those diffraction spikes from the Mewlon take a bit of getting used to :)
  • Neil likes this

#3 morsanimi

morsanimi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:52 AM

Really nice and with lots of details! I like it :)

• Neil likes this

#4 Andromeda

Andromeda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

Very nice image of M81 Neil and thanks for the additional information.

Will
PS. Welcome back in Europe!
  • Neil likes this

#5 astrodoc71

astrodoc71

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 508 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

Looks like the new focuser is operating quite well! That's always a great feeling when you build something like that and get to see it in action perform like it is supposed to! 

Regards

Dave

daveandtelescope.wordpress.com

#6 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

Nice one, Neil! Those diffraction spikes from the Mewlon take a bit of getting used to :)

Yep... it has three vanes set at 120 degrees which when mirrored give you the 6 diffraction spikes, I don't mind, looks cool to me, however, the newer Mewlon's have the traditional 4 vanes, the same as a Newton etc... The bright star in the lower left is suffering from being de-bloomed by CCD-Stack, I'll take another look at the processing today since I'm not happy with the background noise.

#7 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

Looks like the new focuser is operating quite well! That's always a great feeling when you build something like that and get to see it in action perform like it is supposed to! 

Regards

Dave

One of the nice part of building the focuser was determining the minimum amount of time that the Mewlon's focuser could respond to.  I was quite surprised that I got as low as 300mSec which is very precise since its on a very fine screw. The nice thing then is being able to jog the focus back and to without physically touching the telescope etc... Finally, the focuser will work for anyone with a simple motorised focuser that's not a stepper motor.

#8 woolbrig

woolbrig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

Congrats on the new focuser.  Great image of M81.

• Neil likes this

Joe

Scopes: Celestron C9.25/Hyperstar, SkyWatcher 80ED Pro, WO Star-71 II Mounts: CGEM (Hypertuned), CG5  Guiding: Orion SSAG/ST80/Mini 50, OAG  Cameras: ASI120MC, ASI174MM, ASI224MC, Canon T3i (Baader Mod), QHY10, QHY23

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: M81, Bode Galaxy, Mewlon, Focuser