• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Parkerson

Gary Parkerson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

I'd much rather look through a telescope than use it as a camera lens, and prefer old-school Newtonians to more modern designs. Unfortunately, increasing light pollution in my corner of the U.S. is forcing me away from visual observing and toward astrophotography. Sure, there are worse problems to have, but I really miss dark skies and look forward to learning how other Inside Astronomy members are dealing with these issue. Thanks! Gary

• Neil and Andromeda like this

#2 astrodoc71

astrodoc71

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 508 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, New Mexico

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:23 PM

Welcome Gary! I dealt with the issue of light pollution by moving from the soggy and snowy Northeast US to the desert Southwest. I came out here last year. My wife told me I shouldn't wait until I retire since that can't happen anytime soon. So I looked for a job out here and found one! I also joined the International Dark Sky Association so I can try to do what I can to help preserve our night skies. I agree with you that newtonians are underrated not only for observing but also for imaging. I think they are making a resurgence. I was the proud owner of a Cave Astrola newtonian for 40 years.

Welcome to the group and thanks for joining!

Regards

Dave

daveandtelescope.wordpress.com

#3 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

Welcome to the forum Gary,

I certainly hope that you will enjoy it here. As for light pollution, to combat it, I mainly use narrowband filters, such as; HA, OIII and SII etc... The trouble with this approach is the the OIII and SII is normally very weak! Still you can produce some stunning images just with an HA filter alone.

PI helps me to combat the gradients in my RGB image quite well and its a lot cheaper overall.

Clear Skies

Neil.

#4 Andromeda

Andromeda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Location3rd Rock from the Sun (The Netherlands)

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:48 AM

Hello Gary,

A warm welcome from the Netherlands/Europe. Deep South? Which US State do you live?

Regards Will

#5 woolbrig

woolbrig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • LocationBethalto, IL

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

Hello Gary, welcome to the forum.

Joe

Scopes: Celestron C9.25/Hyperstar, SkyWatcher 80ED Pro, WO Star-71 II Mounts: CGEM (Hypertuned), CG5  Guiding: Orion SSAG/ST80/Mini 50, OAG  Cameras: ASI120MC, ASI174MM, ASI224MC, Canon T3i (Baader Mod), QHY10, QHY23

Thank you for your interest in our Astronomy Forum...
It looks like you haven't joined us yet?
Why don't you register to get all the features of being a member! Its free!