#1 woolbrig

woolbrig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • LocationBethalto, IL

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

Any one in the states get to see the lunar eclipse last night?

My 10 yr old daughter and I got up around 12:30 ct to watch.  I was her first eclipse.  The skies were was crystal clear at our house.  Unfortunately, the temp was in the 20s.  To cold to really enjoy sitting outside and watching it.  She did make to totality, but was in a hurry to get inside as soon as it did.  I had planned to image the entire process, but the cold got to me too, so I went in right after mid-eclipse. 

It was fun to watch it with her.  She asked me to explain to her what an eclipse is and had several other questions.  I hope to make her an astronomer and while the eclipse was great, the cold definitely wasn't.

• Neil likes this

Joe

Scopes: Celestron C9.25/Hyperstar, SkyWatcher 80ED Pro, WO Star-71 II Mounts: CGEM (Hypertuned), CG5  Guiding: Orion SSAG/ST80/Mini 50, OAG  Cameras: ASI120MC, ASI174MM, ASI224MC, Canon T3i (Baader Mod), QHY10, QHY23

#2 astrodoc71

astrodoc71

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 508 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, New Mexico

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

I watched from beginning to about mid-eclipse. Couldn't make it any further plus long day at work today. Took some images of the encroaching shadow with a mono webcam and my ED80. I tried one of those widefield serial phase shots with my dslr but the Moon images I think were too tiny. Anyway the eyepiece view at totality was very cool as well as naked eye. Looked like a big orange balloon! My younger son watched and I got my wife up at totality because she never saw one of these before. It was about 40 degrees where we are. 

Regards

Dave

daveandtelescope.wordpress.com

#3 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:57 AM

Glad you guys enjoyed the show. I remember a flew of these lunar eclipses. The one I especially remember happened in November 1975. Not the best one for the UK by far, however, it made an impression on me seeing the celestial mechanics of our solar system playing out in front of me. The Moon turn a copper colour which I tried in vein to capture with a film camera from my uncle. How times have changed!

Clear Skies

Neil.

Thank you for your interest in our Astronomy Forum...
It looks like you haven't joined us yet?
Why don't you register to get all the features of being a member! Its free!