5 replies to this topic

#1 jethro

jethro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationRockefeller, PA

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

It appears to me, many of you are into AP. Which made me think- and my brain hurts when I ponder, so I try not to do that very much.

Anyway, what type of telescope do you have and why?

A tripod or Dob?

Was it because of cost?

Because you only observe certain objects?

You wanted a AP setup?

For scientific purpose?

Because you have a hairless cat named Fluffy, and she makes all your decisions? (And if that's the case, I think I know why your cat is mad at you. You named her Fluffy!)

I'm curious. Both of mine are Dobs. I love them due to the ease of setup and use. So far, I have not been bitten by the AP bug. Though I took a few shots of the moon and sunspots with my Cannon PowerShot SD1200. Maybe I'll get serious about it in the future. At this time, I'm still very new at staring at the heavens with scopes and are still overwhelmed with what I see.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Since I have an inquiring mind, maybe that's why my brain always hurts...

• Neil, Andromeda and Dwayneen like this

Orion GoScope 80mm Table Top

Orion SkyQuest XT12g

Bushnell Falcon Insta Focus 7 x 35 Binoculars

Eyeballs, though my peepers are 30 years younger

#2 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:09 AM

I have 5 telescopes! However, my initial goal was aways to do astrophotography, so I have purchased them and upgraded them along the way to support that goal.

• TOA130F, this is my main imaging scope, since I have the converter that allow me to move up and down in focal length. My reason for the purchase was my ability to buy direct whilst I was living in Japan.
  • Mewlon 250M, same as above, however, this was bought to image the planets and small planetary nebulas etc...
  • BabyQ, used in combination with the TOA130F
  • WO72 bought secondhand and used mainly as a guide scope
  • OO300mm Newton - An experiment with fast newtonian optic. rehoused in a carbon fibre tube and given a Moonlite focuser.

I started out with a DSLR and quickly moved to a ccd. The majority of them have been secondhand SBIG's and my current ccd camera is an excellent ST10 which is very sensative to narrowband imaging in Ha, OIII and SII.

Having said all that, on marginal nights I will just look through my telescopes. I also find that very satisfying too.

Yes, I have invested a lot of money in this hobby, however, to me it worth it.

Currently , I'm investing a lot more time in building my observatory in my garden. Hopefully it will be finished soon!

Clear Skies

Neil.

#3 jethro

jethro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationRockefeller, PA

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

Neil,

Thank you for your thoughts. I'm still learning the different uses of types of scopes. It's interesting to me.

My first scope- 80mm Table Top - was a Christmas gift from my wife. It's probably the nicest gift I've ever received. In November 2013, while sitting on my deck staring up to Orion and what I didn't know was Pleiades, I mentioned to my wife that it would be nice to have a telescope. Since the day I received my 3 incher, I've been hooked.

My XT12g is my newest addition. Just received the last piece (the OTA) 6 days ago. So far the weather hasn't been cooperating while I have the time to observe. However, I did find a break in the clouds last Sunday around 9:00am. Luckily, the waning moon was a great target. I enjoyed ever minute until the clouds came back. But this Friday and Saturday, which is the only time I can play with my toys, looks like the skies will be clear. I'm crossing my fingers.

I decided to purchase my 12 incher due to the larger aperture and tracking capability. The other GoTo functions are secondary to me, but is nice to have if I need assistance. At first, I was worried about a reflector, since I didn't know anythng about them. But I found the use and collimation was extremely easy.

Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts. One will never know what path will lead to another adventure.
  • OleCuss likes this

Orion GoScope 80mm Table Top

Orion SkyQuest XT12g

Bushnell Falcon Insta Focus 7 x 35 Binoculars

Eyeballs, though my peepers are 30 years younger

#4 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

I used to do visual astronomy 20 years or so ago and also messed around with film photography on a barn door mount.  That was really hard work!  I restarted my love affair with astronomy about three years ago after discovering how far digital technology had progressed and the quality of astro images that amateurs could now produce.

I have two main scopes: a Takahashi FSQ-106ED refractor for widefield work and a Ceravolo 300 corrected Dall Kirkham for longer focal length (1470mm and 2750mm depending on which corrector I use).  Coupled with a great mount (Astro-Physics) and a good quality mono camera (Apogee U16M) I'm producing images as good as I had hoped... but I have learned that there is always room for improvement  :D

Cheers,
Rick.

#5 OleCuss

OleCuss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:47 AM

I'm not going to actually go through them all. . .

I have an XX12g because when I pretty much started I actually believed the story that bigger was better.  It's a very good visual scope but doesn't get used as much as the smaller stuff.

My 10-inch LX200 is photo-capable and I got a good deal.  It is really a very nice scope but there is a decent chance I will sell it and the 12-incher and stick with smaller scopes.

I wanted a nice refractor for imaging.  The 90mm Stellarvue fit the bill nicely.  Very good optics with a fairly short focal length for some pretty good wide-field work.

My Explore Scientific ED102 I got because it was cheap.  I couldn't pass up the deal since I could have very easily quickly turned around and sold it for at least twice what I paid.  Very good optics and I'll eventually do some imaging with it as well.  I might seriously consider selling the 90mm Stellarvue and just keep the 102mm (they're pretty close in size) but the wife likes the look of the carbon-fiber tube on the Stellarvue so it may hang around for a while yet. . .

My ETX-80 is in a backpack and can go anywhere at any time.  It also gives surpisingly good views of some DSOs.  I think the most enjoyable view I've yet had of M31 was using the ETX-80 at Glacier Point.  The image scale was right and in those dark skies it was plenty bright - it was just wonderful.  I had the LX-200 set up next to it and even though they were both using 25mm eyepieces, the image scale was right for the ETX-80 and the view was just better.

Bigger aperture is not always better.  Sometimes, but certainly not always.

#6 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSouth London

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:10 PM

I have an ED80 bought for DSO imaging and a Celestron C8 XLT for Planetary imaging and visual. Mind you I don't do a great deal of visual as the clear nights are so few and far between.

Mike, My Flikr Site:(if you are interested) 

HEQ5 mount with belt mod on pier. SW ED80, Celestron C9 XLT, SW ST80, QHY8L, ZWOASI 120MC, Mammut Lyuba L429, QHY 5T plus literally a shed load of other bits and pieces.

Limit all  politicians to two terms.  One in office ... one in prison

Thank you for your interest in our Astronomy Forum...
It looks like you haven't joined us yet?
Why don't you register to get all the features of being a member! Its free!