2 replies to this topic

#1 sreilly

sreilly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

I found this forum via  a web search for some information. And found a familiar name right off the bat. I met Josh Lake at NEAF a few years ago and was in one of his lectures there on using Pix Insight. So I figured if searching the Internet landed me here, the advice was sound, I needed to stick around and see if I can be a part of this. 

I've been imaging for 13-14 years and just really getting what I consider decent results. That said, my first images where the stars were focused and tracking almost good I thought were great at the time. Seems the bar gets raised each time you step up a notch or two and look back. But what a great trip and you met and exchange ideas and knowledge with some really great people.

So I'm here to learn and maybe even be able to contribute when I can. Just as a reference, I use ACP for automating the imaging process (just starting to get ACP Expert setup), using MaxIm for my capture and guiding software, Pix Insight as my processing software and a host of other programs for determining targets and so on. My hardware setup consists of an AP 1200GTO mount, OGS 12.5"f/8 RC, Tak FSQ-106 refractor, ST-10XMe and STL-11002M cameras with filter wheels (NB as well on the STL), AO units for both, and automated focusing using FocusMax. 

I'm in the process of designing and retro fitting my now modified garage door roof opener system with a more reliable gear and rack system using a motor controller and 3 phase gearmotor. Hope to have that done in the next month or two.

I enjoy viewing the images posted by others and seeing a bit more of the sky I can't here.

Thanks for having such an informative forum.

-Steve 

• Neil likes this

Steve

AP1200GTO/OGS 12.5" f/8RC/Tak FSQ-106

SBIG ST10-XME/CFW/AO

SBIG STL-11002M/AO-L/FW8

Foster Systems AMC-100/AstroAlert

#2 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

Hi Steve,

Welcome aboard!  I think I've seen you on the PI Forum?  I have some similarish gear: AP900 mount, Tak FSQ-106ED and a 12" corrected Dall-Kirkham (Ceravolo 300), STL11K and Apogee U16M cameras.  The big difference is that I'm in the Southern Hemisphere  :D  I have a shared scope at SRO now so I have the best of both worlds.

Cheers,

Rick.

#3 sreilly

sreilly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

Thanks Rick,

I try to keep up with the posts on PI Forum. It's a very strong and detailed program. I use it almost exclusively except when I find I need to do something with an image that I can't see a way to do in PI. And then I start a topic and hopefully get some feedback. Looking forward to this forum and hopefully I can contribute.

Steve

Steve

AP1200GTO/OGS 12.5" f/8RC/Tak FSQ-106

SBIG ST10-XME/CFW/AO

SBIG STL-11002M/AO-L/FW8

Foster Systems AMC-100/AstroAlert

Thank you for your interest in our Astronomy Forum...
It looks like you haven't joined us yet?
Why don't you register to get all the features of being a member! Its free!