1 reply to this topic

#1 griz11

griz11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationGranite Shoals Tx.

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:54 PM

Hello all I'm an old retired geezer that has been interested in Astronomy since I was a kid. I had some nice equipment and a dome and all at one time but health issues forced me to sell it. That was 15 years ago. Recently I discovered DSLR AP. I had a nice camera and lenses so I decided to give it a try. I've always wanted to make astro images and looks like I'm finally going to make it happen. My rig is a hybrid. A Losmandy StarLapse mounted on an Astrotrac wedge and pier. I cobbled up an encoder for the camera mount so I could use an Argo Navis with it as well. I am not good at star hopping and it became apparent early on I was going to spend most of my time hunting for targets if I didn't do something. I tried the smart phone route but there was too much metal around and it wasn't accurate enough. Now I'm adding an autoguider and the DEC axis to the mount so I can do some narrow band imaging. I use a 7D and now a 7D2 and various lenses from 40mm to 400mm. So far I've been getting great results with it. As is with all major purchases that require clear skies its rained pretty much since I finished the rig. I think buying the rig and a new camera all at once really angered the weather gods :) Anyways I've gotten out twice since Dec 2nd when the Argo came in. Haven't even tested it yet but I did get several sets with the 7D2 those nights. Trying to learn PixInsight now. Starting to understand it and like it.

Griz

DSLR Imager - Hill Country of Tx. Canon 7D -- Canon 7D MkII -- EF40mm F2.8 STM -- EF70-200 f4L USM -- EF400 f5.6L USM -- Tamron SP 70-300 f4-5.6 Di VC -- Losmandy StarLapse with Dec Module mounted on an Astrotrac wedge and Pier -- Argo Navis -- Astronomik clip in filters -- ADM saddle and dovetails

#2 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:02 AM

Welcome to the forum, I hope that you enjoy yourself here.

Sound like a very interesting project, you can achieve a great deal with modern DSLRS, especially with the brighter objects. Gallaxy's are perfect of course, since you don't even need a modified DSRL.

Looking forward to seeing more post Griz.

Clear Skies

Neil.

Thank you for your interest in our Astronomy Forum...
It looks like you haven't joined us yet?
Why don't you register to get all the features of being a member! Its free!