15 replies to this topic

#1 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Does anyone know where I can find some free of charge plate solving software or programs?

I'm starting to better understand the original choices that Jon made. Although MaxIm ships with Pinpoint LE you can not use this software via COM to plate solve your images! You must buy the full version which is very expensive! 

Hopefully, we can find another solution for our project!

#2 jlake

jlake

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 106 posts
  • LocationPomfret, CT

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

Not sure if it helps, but you can do plate solving within PixInsight through the Scripts > Image Analysis > Image Solver script. Since the PI dev platform is open, you can probably find that script and then adapt it. 

The author was Andres Pozo, and it was introduced in this thread: http://pixinsight.co...hp?topic=3911.0

I think you should be able to do it outside of PI with some parameters and by calling the Vizier database.

#3 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

Elbrus is a free plate solver: http://www.astrosurf...us/elbrusin.htm

I haven't used it (I have a full Pinpoint license) but I know a few folks who are using it successfully with Sequence Generator Pro.

Cheers,
Rick.

#4 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

Thanks Guy's,

I just found this one too, this might be the better option if it works properly within the environment of MaxIm. Keeps things a in little cleaner from the final script point of view.

http://astrogeeks.co...dre/ps2_plugin/

However, I'm curious as to the solution = plate solving, I have my know idea how it should be done, might be interesting to see how others have solve this issue?

I still can't believe how much PinPoint cost? Unbelievable!!!

Clear skies

Neil.

#5 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

The Platesolve2 author posted on the Astrogeeks/Metaguide mailing list that he's working on a .NET version.  He also mentioned that he's made progress on blind plate solving (i.e. without an initial estimate of position) at reasonable speed.

Cheers,

Rick.

#6 jlake

jlake

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 106 posts
  • LocationPomfret, CT

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Blind solving is awesome! I wonder what the Flickr auto-astrometry algorithm uses.

#7 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

The SkySolve plugin for Maxim does blind solving.  It works pretty well but you have to generate a database for it in advance (a different one for each FOV size).

#8 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

The SkySolve plugin for Maxim does blind solving.  It works pretty well but you have to generate a database for it in advance (a different one for each FOV size).

Nice try but no coconut, unfortunately SkySolve requires a full licensed version of PinPoint... I'm starting to realize just why Jon made the choices that he did. Unless someone has a freeware solution I'm back to square one. Perhaps the .NET version of PlateSolver2 will support COM objects as standard?

#9 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Nice try but no coconut, unfortunately SkySolve requires a full licensed version of PinPoint... I'm starting to realize just why Jon made the choices that he did. Unless someone has a freeware solution I'm back to square one. Perhaps the .NET version of PlateSolver2 will support COM objects as standard?

Sorry... I thought I'd used SkySolve with the PinPoint LE license bundled with Maxim but perhaps not...

The comment I read about Platesolve2 said that it is going to support COM objects but it's still a work in progress.

#10 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

Sorry... I thought I'd used SkySolve with the PinPoint LE license bundled with Maxim but perhaps not...

The comment I read about Platesolve2 said that it is going to support COM objects but it's still a work in progress.

Not a problem Rick, lets hope the .NET version supports COM they usually do? It's part of the marketing hype with late binding etc...

#11 AJinRI

AJinRI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWakefield, RI

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Blind solving is awesome! I wonder what the Flickr auto-astrometry algorithm uses.

If you go to the astrometry.net site, there are several references to the methods used. Quite complex and effective.

AJ

#12 jlake

jlake

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 106 posts
  • LocationPomfret, CT

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Looks like Blind Solving will soon be incorporated into PixInsight! A key part of it, Star Detection, may be in the final PI 1.8 release this coming February:

http://pixinsight.co...57.75;topicseen

#13 dcrowson

dcrowson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:34 AM

The astrometry.net code is available and can do blind solving.  I've been able to get it working under windows but it isn't as quick as their website.  There are some pre-built packages:

http://forum.astrome...bution/#Item_11

AstroTortilla wraps it in a full package - http://sourceforge.n...illa/home/Home/

Dan

#14 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

Thanks Dan & AJ,

I'll take a look at the code to see whether or not this can be a good solution for this part of the process.

Unfortunately, I have two business trip that are going to keep me occupied for the next three weeks! :(

Hopefully, I be able to come back to this early in March.

Cheers

Neil.

#15 morsanimi

morsanimi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

Out of curiosity! has this project involved any further?

I am a total newbie to Linux and i can't even install the astrometry.net standalone version. :wacko:

#16 morsanimi

morsanimi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:08 PM

I've found this

http://gcx.sourceforge.net/

Thank you for your interest in our Astronomy Forum...
It looks like you haven't joined us yet?
Why don't you register to get all the features of being a member! Its free!