47 replies to this topic

#21 chrisjbaileyuk

chrisjbaileyuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationWymondham, Norfolk, UK

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

Heres my current arrangement. W/O FLT110, W/O ZS70 (guidescope), FSQ85. All are bolted down to a lump of 18mm think aluminium and then onto the MX Versaplate. Tricky to balance up but it sure is rigid. I run an Atik 460EX on the FLT and a 383L on the FSQ with a Lodestar on the ZS70 in the middle. The FSQ/383 combo gives about 4x the FOV of the FLT/460. I am a little OCD about trailing wires so everything is run through the mount and I have customised power cables out to the cameras and FW. I also find the side by side arrangement suits imaging through a dome slit much better than over and under

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1929.jpg

• Andromeda likes this

Tak FSQ85:W/OFLT110:W/O ZS70:Atik 383L/EFW2:Atik460OSC:Lodestar: all side-by-side on Paramount MX in Pulsar 2.2m dome.

#22 Captain Tweaky

Captain Tweaky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationSouthampton, UK

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

Wow!! Since I've been on my holibobs and otherwise been a little quiet over the Summer period, there have been some wonderful additions to the displays of equipment. Sadly a couple of Kepler22b's images are no longer to be seen and neither are the two from The Rev and Peter seems to have struggled to get the images on screen. Carole - am pleased to see your gear and the Skypod looks enviably excellent!

If anyone else has any gear images to share, please stick 'em on!!

Yours aye - Cap'n

Captain Tweaky

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon; And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forbodings too; I'll see you on The Dark Side of the Moon

My Flickr site for all my astro images - and other stuff, if you'd care to take a look!

#23 Andromeda

Andromeda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Location3rd Rock from the Sun (The Netherlands)

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:14 PM

A telescope, a camera and clear skies!
What else does a man need to be happy!
Sadly enough I don't have all three of them :-(
I hope to purchase them in the near future, but on this moment I just enjoy looking at the awesome set ups!

Thanks
Will

#24 swag72

swag72

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

Sadly, 2013 became rather an un-modest year with a new mount upgrade and some new filters as well.

Mount: Avalon Linear Fast Reverse

Scope: Takahashi FSQ85 with 0.73x reducer

Camera: Atik 460EXM with a set of 3nm Astrodon narrowband filters

Filter wheel: Trutek supaslim manual

avalon3.jpg

• Andromeda and duskchaser like this

Sara ---> Check out my website at http://swagastro.weebly.com/

#25 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

Nice setup, Sara!  The FSQs are great scopes.

#26 Liquid360

Liquid360

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

Modest budget? Seriously? I've thus far not seen a single image here of such a budget lol I've got nothing at all to contribute other than a budget most modest, but I so do love seeing such beautiful hardware!! Often times the hardware is only bested by what they observe. Here's my basic, off the shelf LX90 ACF 10 byre7umu.jpg - Nate Birmingham, AL
  • Captain Tweaky likes this

#27 Captain Tweaky

Captain Tweaky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:43 AM

This post started as "...on a modest budget", but I've also been amused to see how many consider Takahashi's for example, to be 'on a modest budget'! One Takahashi FSQ85 costs almost as much as my mount (HEQ5), 115mm APO (Altair Astro - Cheap Triplet), CCD Camera (Atik 314L+) & Electronic filter wheel (Brightstar Quantum) with filters (Baader x 7), Guide 'scope (SW ST80) & Camera (QHY5) all put together!!

Fortunately I'm very happy with this particular set-up (particularly with the Altair Wave 115mm ED APO Triplet :o) and have no plans to change. Hopefully everyone is getting as much pleasure from whatever equipment they have as I get from mine. Please keep posting images of your 'pride-and-joy's - they are very interesting to see - no matter how much they cost!!  :) 

Yours aye - Cap'n

Captain Tweaky

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon; And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forbodings too; I'll see you on The Dark Side of the Moon

My Flickr site for all my astro images - and other stuff, if you'd care to take a look!

#28 DENEB

DENEB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

Its funny how people define a Modest Budget ... I suppose when it comes to imaging - the sky is the Limit.

#29 duskchaser

duskchaser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCentral France

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

This was my modest astro gear up until 6 months ago. I wanted an alt-azimuth for my 6 inch refractor, couldn't find one so I made this. It's an old swivel office chair (upside down). I had to remove a few legs and a lot of the chassis. When I rolled the roof back, I raised the scope by the gas height adjustment! I used for 3 years, it was great for observing variables.

I've replaced it with a EQ6 Pro now, technically and mechanically solid, but souless ;)

Doug.

alt azi tele mount.jpg

observatory.jpg

• tich likes this

Doug.

6" Helios Refractor+Monorail focuser+ ST80 Guidescope+Baader guide rings.

Pier mounted NEQ6+EQMOD+Astrotortilla+CDC+Maxim DL 5+'V' filtered SBIG ST 7ME nabg.

Roll off obsy+warm room.

Photometry of Pre-Main Sequence + CV variable stars.

#30 Lee

Lee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

Ingenius stuff Doug.... :)

• duskchaser likes this

#31 tich

tich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNorthamptonshire.

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

After seeing all these lovely scopes I thought I'd post mine.

My cheap as chips 80mm refractor, I only brought it for the mount initially but after a bit of fettling it actually performs quite well as I've observed a couple of Io transits with it & as I was after a grab & go at the time it did the job for me. I may upgrade the focuser on it sometime in the future.

67660_10151210574473434_91115623_n.jpg

Here's my first scope a 200P I originally brought it on an EQ5 pro mount & after a few months I upgraded it to an NEQ6. Next to it is my 6" Celestron SCT on a manual EQ5, the EQ5 was a freebie so it works out well for when I'm imaging with the other one as I can still do some star hopping with the SCT.

1005968_10151564070633434_1097857688_n.j

Here's yet another freebie a 250P DOB tube, so now I'm at a bit of a conundrum as what to do with the 200P although it can still be used on the EQ5 if need be but then what would I do with the SCT, decisions decisions!!

1175035_10151678583498434_582038949_n.jp

Lastly my Celestron C80ED & ST80 which will be used as my main imaging scopes when these clouds go that is, probably unlikely as I've just brought a focal reducer :P

1380254_10151727250833434_1683063614_n.j

• duskchaser likes this

Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher 250P, Skywatcher ST80, Celestron C6 SCT,
Zenith 10x50 Bins, NEQ6 Pro & EQ5, Canon 1000D Unmodded & Modded Canon 1000D, QHY5L-II & Philips SPC.
Various Hyperion Eyepieces & MKII Zoom Plus Other Scopes & Bits & Bobs.
darksite2_zps11a734b0.gif
http://centralmidlandstargazers.com/

#32 Captain Tweaky

Captain Tweaky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

Good collection of 'budget' equipment there Tich - it would be good to see some more 'modest' gear that people are using as well as the more high-stuff. And of course some binocular set-ups!

Yours aye - Cap'n

• tich likes this

Captain Tweaky

#33 tich

tich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNorthamptonshire.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:58 PM

I forgot about my Bins but I do use a pair of old Zenith 10 x 50's from time to time. I went round a friends place who has an observatory & while he had his setup imaging we were scanning the skies with a pair of bins from Aldi so I did a bit of shopping around & brought a pair of old Zeniths for peanuts.

• Captain Tweaky likes this

Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher 250P, Skywatcher ST80, Celestron C6 SCT,
Zenith 10x50 Bins, NEQ6 Pro & EQ5, Canon 1000D Unmodded & Modded Canon 1000D, QHY5L-II & Philips SPC.
Various Hyperion Eyepieces & MKII Zoom Plus Other Scopes & Bits & Bobs.
darksite2_zps11a734b0.gif
http://centralmidlandstargazers.com/

#34 duskchaser

duskchaser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCentral France

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

This was my modest astro gear up until 6 months ago. I wanted an alt-azimuth for my 6 inch refractor, couldn't find one so I made this. It's an old swivel office chair (upside down). I had to remove a few legs and a lot of the chassis. When I rolled the roof back, I raised the scope by the gas height adjustment! I used for 3 years, it was great for observing variables.

I've replaced it with a EQ6 Pro now, technically and mechanically solid, but souless ;)

Doug.

attachicon.gifalt azi tele mount.jpg

attachicon.gifobservatory.jpg

And here is my set-up now, still targeting variables, but not quite so many.  :)

Attached Thumbnails

• scope 1.jpg

• tich likes this

Doug.

Pier mounted NEQ6+EQMOD+Astrotortilla+CDC+Maxim DL 5+'V' filtered SBIG ST 7ME nabg.

Roll off obsy+warm room.

#35 Captain Tweaky

Captain Tweaky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

Holey-moley that looks like a lot of weight on the counter balance shaft - but looks like a very business-like set-up. Hope you find those elusive variables!  :)

Yours aye - Cap'n

• duskchaser likes this

Captain Tweaky

#36 duskchaser

duskchaser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCentral France

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

Cheers Captain,

I could have used the extension bar and stayed with just the two weights but it would be something else to walk in to :lol:

Doug.

Roll off obsy+warm room.

#37 Captain Tweaky

Captain Tweaky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:22 PM

..... it would be something else to walk in to :lol:

Ain't that the truth!!!  :)

Yours aye - Cap'n

Captain Tweaky

#38 Yoddha

Yoddha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSofia, Bulgaria

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:57 AM

:angry: Spam!!!

Unless this is a forum for selling watches....

• Neil, Captain Tweaky and duskchaser like this
Clear skies,
Ivo

Takahashi TOA-130, WO 66SD, Takahashi EM-200, Unmodded - 1000D 350D, Modded & Cooled - 1000D, Modded 550D, APT - The Imaging Catalyst
Some of my images (2 AAPODs, 1 Published)

May the weather be with you!

#39 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:03 PM

:angry: Spam!!!

Unless this is a forum for selling watches....

This forum is most definitely not here to sell watches! Please keep reporting any spam content and we will take care of it.

Cheers

Neil.

#40 Yoddha

Yoddha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSofia, Bulgaria

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

I will :)

• Neil likes this
Clear skies,
Ivo

Takahashi TOA-130, WO 66SD, Takahashi EM-200, Unmodded - 1000D 350D, Modded & Cooled - 1000D, Modded 550D, APT - The Imaging Catalyst
Some of my images (2 AAPODs, 1 Published)

May the weather be with you!

Thank you for your interest in our Astronomy Forum...
It looks like you haven't joined us yet?
Why don't you register to get all the features of being a member! Its free!