#1 skyman22

skyman22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNewton Aycliffe, North East England

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

Hi All

Im new to the forum, and live in the UK.

I have at the moment a TeleVue NP101is telescope which is great for wide field ccd imaging.

I now interested in getting a longer focal length telescope for visual and ccd,  say around 800 to 1000mm,  

my choices at the moment for my budget

are

Skywatcher Esprit 120mm f7,  includes field flattner.

or the new

Meade 6000 series,  130mm f7.

Any thoughts on these are other suggestions

thanks

paul

#2 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Hi Paul,

And welcome to the forum. Have you considered any other makes or even picking a telescope up secondhand on of the astronomy buy sell sites?

I have not personally owned the Skywatcher Esprit but I have seen negative reports on its performance on the internet, therefore, I'd be very careful with this one, check first and double check if in doubt. I'm sure that other members will be able to make more positive recommendations shortly based upon the kit that they own. 

A good site to help you to research which is the right scope for you is as follows; http://www.insideast...32/?hl=wolfgang

Wolfgang tests all the telescopes on an optical test bench, keep in mind that this is all done at a nice 20 Deg. C and will not tell you if the lens cell will pinch the optics in the cold? In any case you will want to run a heater band placed around the lens cell to stop the optics from dewing up.

Hopefully these reviews will help you to narrow down your potential candidates.

Clear Skies

Neil.

#3 SlipperySquid

SlipperySquid

Urban Legend

• Administrators
  • 246 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Judging by reviews etc I'd stay well away from the Skywatcher! 

I think the Meade scopes are manufactured by Jinghu(or something similar) and are great optically though most of the triplets out there are the same and just re-baged (discounting those from Takahashi etc).

I'd give Ian King a call and see what he advises? He's very impartial and will give you good advice.

You could always use a really nice barlow on the televue?

I'm sure some one else will be along to help as well, as the forum members have probably owned most scopes on the market...and large majority that are no longer on the market :D

Clear skies,

Matt.

#4 Captain Tweaky

Captain Tweaky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationSouthampton, UK

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Paul - hi

I have the Altair Wave Series 115 ED APO Triplet F7 which I bought primarily for imaging. Olly Penrice waxed lyrical over it and I have to say it is a really nice 'scope for the money. I have since realised that it is a superb visual 'scope as well. Altair Astro Wave Series 115

They also 'make' a 130mm from the same factory in China. As it happens this is extra-ordinarily similar to the Meade 6000 Series 130mm, but significantly cheaper. The Meade should have FK61 glass whereas the Altair has Ohara FPL51. In theory, the glass in the Meade and Altair are both checked for accuracy and the less perfect glass supposedly goes into cheaper 'makes' - hence the poor reputation some cheap APO triplets have had. Do you really get a huge benefit from buying the Meade as opposed to the Altair - who's to say? Probably the best judge would be your wallet :-) Altair Astro Wave Series 130.

I was going to buy a Meade 115 myself, but then I saw the Altair and I am very glad that I saved the money - (it's even gone up £100 since I bought it a couple of months ago!) - besides I very much doubt that I should be able to appreciate any difference in performance.

I'm not really sure how much this helps, but you may want to take a look at Altair Astro. Having said that, I did buy an Altair 102mm F6.5 Super ED APO Triplet V2.0 with FPL53 glass (quite different design - probably a different factory) and it had pinched optics - so it went back!

Yours aye - Cap'n

Captain Tweaky

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon; And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forbodings too; I'll see you on The Dark Side of the Moon

My Flickr site for all my astro images - and other stuff, if you'd care to take a look!

#5 kepler22b

kepler22b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

TS Optics PHOTOLINE Triplet APO 130 = 2100 euro 

TS 120/900mm ED APO Telescope = 1700 euro 

cheapest apo seller i know and the biggest ask for 10% off

and youll get it nicest guys you can talk to maybe its because

i have got about 10,000 euros of stuff from them in two years

and no i dont own telescope service or any wood factories.  :D  :D  :D 

• SlipperySquid likes this

#6 skyman22

skyman22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Hi Guys

Thanks to all for your tips.  First of all the Esprit 120 and 150 is getting excellent reviews, around the internet, Matt i think its the 100mm 5 element thats what got bad press as they had problems with this model,  however i will now look at the TS and Altair versions

i did contact Ian King and he said the Tak is better, off course it is but its in another price range,  Using a powermate on the Televue is not practical as i need lots extension tubes to get focus on my QSI 583.  

Anyone know the current price on a TEC140 ?  from Europe.

thanks everyone

paul

#7 Captain Tweaky

Captain Tweaky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Looks to me that the Altair Wave Series 130 is the same 'scope as the TS Optics PHOTOLINE Triplet APO 130 - the visual appearance and spec appear to be exactly the same. And it looks like the TS Optics PHOTOLINE Triplet APO 115/800mm is the same as the one I have from Altair.

I love the expression - if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck - it's probably a duck!! :D  So if you were to decide to go that way - take the best deal! Neil Philipson from Astronomia in Dorking is your Altair man down here.

Yours aye - Cap'n

Captain Tweaky

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon; And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forbodings too; I'll see you on The Dark Side of the Moon

My Flickr site for all my astro images - and other stuff, if you'd care to take a look!

#8 skyman22

skyman22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Hi

thanks again.  Think the telescopes you mention are FPL51 or similar, where as the Esprit has better optics with FLP53, i assume,  but of course a lot more money.

I did have a Explore Scientific 127 a while back but the 2" focuser was the weak point.   My just pop to astrofest and look at the stuff first.

Paul

#9 Captain Tweaky

Captain Tweaky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

Think the telescopes you mention are FPL51 or similar, where as the Esprit has better optics with FLP53, i assume

I had this 'dilemma' myself and it was put to me 'just what did I want the 'scope for?' For visual I was told the difference was nominal and for imaging it was only really noticeable when using a camera with a large chip and taking long subs and many hours worth of total exposure. With my Atik 314L+ and maximum total exposure times of about three hours, I would never know the difference apparently. In fact I use a William Optics Doublet for some of my imaging and the Chromatic Aberration is well under control, just blues can be a little awkward at times.

I wish you luck with your quest - Yours aye - Cap'n

Captain Tweaky

#10 skyman22

skyman22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

Hi Cap'n

You bring up good points there, thanks

paul

#11 Daniel B.

Daniel B.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSt-Roch-de-l'Achigan, Québec, Canada

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

Hi Paul,

I am new on this group.

Among several scopes I have a TEC 140 since last June. Absolutely great scope. It is more expensive than other brands, but it is a *lifetime* item. You should contact Yuri Petrunin (tec*at*telescopengineering.com) directly to know how things work for sending the scope to Europe. I think he has several representatives there.

Daniel

P. S. My images are stored here (with the most recent on top): http://biol09.biol.u...magesastro/?M=D   Among these, e.g. M81, NGC6820, IC63, NGC688 and NGC891 have been done with teh TEC140.

#12 DENEB

DENEB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Hi Paul & Welcome to the forum.

Ive only heard good things about the TEC140, the bloke you need to speak about imaging with a TEC140 is OllyPenrice, he has one & swears by it Along side with his Taks...

As a matter of personal opinion I would avoid the Skywatcher Esprit's from the reports floating around the web & of course Skywatcher not providing the flatteners with them, and I thought these were marketed as a Premium 5-Element Scopes ?.

I think Skywatcher have made a good rep, until they decided to release the Esprits to compete with the Big Guns out there. Quality Control is paramount, especially when targeting the High End APO market.

Nadeem.

Edited by DENEB, 07 February 2013 - 10:26 AM.

#13 Darth Takahashi

Darth Takahashi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Yep, fully agree with Nadeem.

Be careful with only looking at the glass(FPL53) if it isnt figured and polished properly along with being housed in a nice collimatable lens cell it doesn't mean a thing. Skywatcher have made some very respectable telescopes, however they have also made complete fools of themselves when trying to produce the high end telescope which demand more quality.

A TEC, TAK or TMB are expensive for a reason and that reason is QUALITY.

Thank you for your interest in our Astronomy Forum...
It looks like you haven't joined us yet?
Why don't you register to get all the features of being a member! Its free!