9 replies to this topic

#1 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

AstroFest 2013

Is anyone going to this event in London? If so we would appreciate a report and some pictures please!

European AstroFest is the world's premier space conference and exhibition, bringing together the professional and amateur communities. The show's 20th year will be the biggest and best yet.
We have assembled a stellar line-up of personalities to address the conference. During the course of the two-day event, speakers from around the world will talk on some of the most exciting topics in astronomy. 

http://europeanastrofest.com/

#2 Carastro

Carastro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

I'm going but hadn't thought about taking a camera. 

See if I can charge up the batteries.

Carole

#3 Captain Tweaky

Captain Tweaky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

I shall be there and I wield a mean mobile `phone camera so I`ll see what I can do.

Yours aye - Cap`n

Captain Tweaky

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon; And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forbodings too; I'll see you on The Dark Side of the Moon

My Flickr site for all my astro images - and other stuff, if you'd care to take a look!

#4 SlipperySquid

SlipperySquid

Urban Legend

• Administrators
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

See if the EQ8 is there please :D Long shot I know but we can hope!

Clear skies,

Matt.

#5 Carastro

Carastro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

Yes the EQ8 was there, top floor.  Massive thing.  Apparently you can buy it without the tripod if you wish, and looking at the weight of it I don't think you'd want to be lugging it around much.  I heard 28 kg being mentioned.  I'll try to remember to photograph it tomorrow. 

Also heard £4000 being mentioned, but I'll double check on that tomorrow. 

Very pleasant day, met lots of people I have chatted to on forums and err, spent some money.  Going again tomorrow to meet up with more people.

Carole

#6 Carastro

Carastro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

Some-one posted this on You Tube:

Carole

#7 Captain Tweaky

Captain Tweaky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Am now back from Astrofest and have just a couple of images - I kept forgetting to take any. And I thought Matt said something about the EQ6 - so I took an image of that. I now see it was the EQ8 that was wanted!!

The day did start with a bit of a shock - parking for 6 hours - £24!!!!!! Now is that a deterrent or a rip-off! Sadly we certainly won't be going to Astrofest next year if it is at the same venue. The place was absolutely heaving, so I guess not many came by car!!

Manged to fall asleep in both the 'lectures' we went to which was unfortunate because I was told they were both quite good! Didn't get to see Dr Brian May this year either, as to wait for him to sign a book would have added another £8 to the parking!!!

Bernard of Modern Astronomy was very helpful as always and so was Dion (Astronomy Shed) and as a consequence saved myself a couple of hundred pounds. So I'll be keeping the QHY5 for a while longer!!

This is what greeted us immediately inside the main exhibition door - one of these (the one at the back pointing out of the picture) was £46,000!!!

Widescreen-Ctre-First-Stand.jpg

This is a rather splendid image of the EQ6 that wasn't wanted anyway!!

AZ-EQ6-GT.jpg

There were lots and lots of lovely toys on display and in the words of Oscar Wilde, "I can resist anything but temptation" . . .

Lovely-Toys.jpg

Here's a picture of the Telescope House stand - only because I suddenly remembered to take a picture!!

Telescope-House.jpg

A short while after this was taken, every single seat in the house was full - and then I went to sleep!

Lecture-Theatre.jpg

And this last one has absolutely nothing to do with Astrofest or Astronomy. It was a magnificent cappuccino created in La Parisienne in Romsey, Hampshire and it tasted as good as it looked!!

La-Parisienne-Romsey.jpg

'All' Taken on my trusty Samsung Galaxy 2 smart phone.

Yours aye - Cap'n

Captain Tweaky

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon; And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forbodings too; I'll see you on The Dark Side of the Moon

My Flickr site for all my astro images - and other stuff, if you'd care to take a look!

#8 SlipperySquid

SlipperySquid

Urban Legend

• Administrators
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post the piccies and have a look around for us!

£4000 for the EQ8 :( not worth the money in my opinion (will have to wait for the reviews of course) if it get's priced more to £3000 then that's the winner!

See if you can wangle a release date out of them Carole, use all the charm you can muster...failing that use brute force ;)

Thanks for the pics of the new EQ6 though Cap'n :) valiant effort sir! and the parking is an absolute rip off!

I usually fall asleep at lectures to...no matter how much I try my brain sort of switched off! I think I have low grade narcolepsy ;)

Clear skies all!

Matt. 

#9 Carastro

Carastro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

See if you can wangle a release date out of them Carole

Can't remember who was exhibiting it now.  But I've read somewhere else it's end March.

Carole

#10 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

Thanks Carole & Cap'n for the video & pictures at least we can get an impression of the venue & event. Lot's of lovely new toys on display, not sure that I could have resisted. Temptation would have gotten the better of me!

Parking in any big city is a rip off, it almost a TAX on shoppers!

I think Skywatcher have over cooked the price for the EQ8 at 4K Pounds? At this price level it has to perform very well and consistently, better than +/-5 arcseconds without PEC... Lets see what the reviews tell us, probably not a lot!

Clear Skies

Neil.