• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 peter shah

peter shah

Advanced

• Moderators
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

Just got myself a shiny new dew shield, rebalanced the scope and collimated it....roll on the clear nights.

Peter

Attached Thumbnails

• ag12 dew 1.jpg
  • ag12 dew 2.jpg
  • ag12 dew 3.jpg

#2 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

It certainly is a beast, Peter!  What's in your imaging train?

Mine is all ready to go but we've had nothing but rain for weeks now :angry:  Hopefully, Winter will be mostly dry and clear.

Cheers,
Rick.

#3 peter shah

peter shah

Advanced

• Moderators
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

I still need to upgrade the filter wheel and filters, im using only 2" filters in an old tru-tech motorised wheel, connected to a starlight xpress h35 full format camera, the focuser is an fli pdf and i made my own OAG using an old celestron oag fitting the prism to my spacing adapter, i dont get any vignetting from the OAG but i have to do a lot of messing about to compensate for the filters.

#4 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

Nice that you can fit an OAG.  It would be good to have a little more backfocus but I expect that raises some optical design difficulties.

#5 DENEB

DENEB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

I still have to make one out of a camping mat... not like you rich folks... What length is that dew shield Peter?

#6 peter shah

peter shah

Advanced

• Moderators
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

I wish I was rich Nadeem, id soon sort out those filters and move somewhere near the equator :P ....its 14.5" long

Yes Rich the spot size gets worse the further away from the corrector

#7 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

Looks very impressive Peter,

When did you change the mount? That looks like a G41 from Gemini in Hungary? I thought you were using a Losmandy Titan?

What the band at the rear of the telescope is it a heater?

Clear Skies

Neil.

#8 peter shah

peter shah

Advanced

• Moderators
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

Yep it is Neil, I never had a Titan it was a G11 and was way over the limit for it, i came across the G41 which was in a bit od a state and left for parts. It didnt have a computer and was missing various bits, i had some pieces machined up for it and custom fitted it up with the Gemini computer from the G11......i wasnt sure it was going to work, but it works its so well and by the time i sold the G11 i actually made some money back......how often does that happen!

The band on the back is a heater strap which i have insulated with a mylar and camping mat just to keep the tube warm infront of the primary, I run the fans thoughout imaging so i does draw down the cold air on to the optics. The idea is the air flow is fast enough to straigten any air currents caused by the heaters....it works too, i dont see any difference when the heaters are on to when they are off.

#9 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

I thought that the drive motors look a bit odd?

Still you have managed to save the mount with a little bit of machining and ingenuity, well done.

They're great mounts, very strong and can carry up to 50 kg.

Thank you for your interest in our Astronomy Forum...
It looks like you haven't joined us yet?
Why don't you register to get all the features of being a member! Its free!