#1 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

Playing with a Ceravolo 300 Astrograph tonight.  Mount is an Astro-Physics AP900 and the camera is an Apogee U16M.  Should be a wonderful set up if I can get it all working.  Currently working through all the issues one at a time ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• Ceravolo.jpg

#2 Starlock

Starlock

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

Now thats what I call an imaging rig!

#3 DENEB

DENEB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

$22,000.00 Scope. It would be a waste under uk skies :D , I think something like a CT8, AG8 or something with a high grade optic would do me.

Nadeem

#4 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Our summer is usually pretty poor (just having the first few clear nights after three months of rain) but we often get some decent weather in winter.  Maybe it's overkill but it's a very nice toy and wasn't bought new :)

Looks promising so far but as expected there are a few problems to solve.

#5 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

Well that looks fantastic, can't wait to see some of the images its going to produce in your expert hands.

I guess its going to need a little fine tuning to get the best from it.

Clear Skies

Neil.

#6 klaatu2u

klaatu2u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

I had to go out on the goog to read about the scope -  a  Dall-Kirkham Cassegrain with 2 focal ratios, what are the issues you are encountering?  I read Bob Feras review and he mentions it being difficult for OAG in the f/4.9 config.  Hope you have more clear skies soon, look forward to reading your results / experience.

Jim in Portland, OR.  Some images I've taken

14" Orion goto Dob that amazes me for visual, Lots of eyepieces, and a few binoculars

A few nice refractors and 8300M CCD with full set Astrodon filters 5nm Ha, 3nm SII and OIII -->Veloce RH200 f/3 on order :)

A 'ROR' and a concrete pier in my white LP zone backyard observatory where I image from (yes, in the city!)

TheSky6, Skytools3 pro, MaxImDL pro, Photoshop CS5, PSP7 with PhotoX2, many shelves of Guides, Atlas, handbooks, you name it...

#7 kepler22b

kepler22b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

great scope but a waste for the uk and ireland we havent have a clear

sky now in 2 months nearly its just insane.

#8 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:21 AM

Thanks, guys.  I haven't been able to get the focuser working with ASCOM yet.  Looks like the driver I have is 32-bit only.  I also have some tilt to fix.  And then, half-way through running a test image on Omega Centauri my USB to serial adapter died and I lost communication with the mount.  I didn't really expect everything to work perfectly the first time!

#9 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:31 AM

Here are a couple of quick & dirty images from my testing last night: Omega Centauri and Eta Carinae (Ha).

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC5139-qnd-crop-sRGB.jpg
  • NGC3372-qnd-Ha-crop.jpg

• Starlock likes this

#10 DENEB

DENEB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Looks very well so far, I would only think it will get better, How long does the scope take to cool down.

Nadeem.

#11 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

Thanks, Nadeem.  It didn't take very long for the primary to cool down to within a couple of degrees of ambient last night (which was a very warm night).  The scope has fans, temperature sensors and mirror heaters built in along with a microcontroller that runs the show.  It automatically runs the fans and heaters to keep the mirrors slightly above ambient temperature.  It will be interesting to see how it performs under a variety of circumstances but it worked well last night.  There's also a manual override option if desired.

Cheers,
Rick.

#12 Starlock

Starlock

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Hi Rick, what native f/ratio and focal length is this scope? looking at your pics I would say you've got a far bit of focal length! great first results lovely to see globs resolved to the core:)

#13 klaatu2u

klaatu2u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Very nice - great in the detail and resolution - hope you are smiling :) !

Jim in Portland, OR.  Some images I've taken

14" Orion goto Dob that amazes me for visual, Lots of eyepieces, and a few binoculars

A few nice refractors and 8300M CCD with full set Astrodon filters 5nm Ha, 3nm SII and OIII -->Veloce RH200 f/3 on order :)

A 'ROR' and a concrete pier in my white LP zone backyard observatory where I image from (yes, in the city!)

TheSky6, Skytools3 pro, MaxImDL pro, Photoshop CS5, PSP7 with PhotoX2, many shelves of Guides, Atlas, handbooks, you name it...

#14 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

Hi Rick, what native f/ratio and focal length is this scope? looking at your pics I would say you've got a far bit of focal length! great first results lovely to see globs resolved to the core:)

Thanks.  My first light was at 1470mm (f/4.9).  The scope also does 2700mm (f/9).  It comes with two interchangeable correctors.

Very nice - great in the detail and resolution - hope you are smiling :) !

Well, I'm certainly happy with the centre of the field!  Just need to get the corners looking as good and I will be all smiles :)

#15 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSturat Range Observatory - Ellesmere, Qld.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Playing with a Ceravolo 300 Astrograph tonight.  Mount is an Astro-Physics AP900 and the camera is an Apogee U16M.  Should be a wonderful set up if I can get it all working.  Currently working through all the issues one at a time ;)

I can help you but I'd need to borrow the rig for a few months. I promise to take care of it and will let you know what has to be done... LOL... ;)

In the meantime, take your time and enjoy your new addition.  What kind of skies do you have and what is your intention with such a pwerful rig?

#16 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:22 AM

I can help you but I'd need to borrow the rig for a few months. I promise to take care of it and will let you know what has to be done... LOL... ;)

In the meantime, take your time and enjoy your new addition.  What kind of skies do you have and what is your intention with such a pwerful rig?

Very kind of you, Dark Matter, but it's a bit heavy to ship anywhere ;)

I haven't made any progress over the past month because I have been away from home on holidays, but when I get back I have a couple of new adapters that will let me attach my Atlas focuser and a tilt adjuster.  I hope that will allow me to do the final tweaks I need to get the setup really humming.

My skies at home are pretty awful but I'm only a couple of hours drive from some quite dark skies.  During the winter we usually get a good proportion of clear, crisp nights.  I'm interested in a variety of targets and the Ceravolo + U16M should be flexible enough to deal with most of them.

Cheers,
Rick.

#17 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSturat Range Observatory - Ellesmere, Qld.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

Very kind of you, Dark Matter, but it's a bit heavy to ship anywhere ;)

I haven't made any progress over the past month because I have been away from home on holidays, but when I get back I have a couple of new adapters that will let me attach my Atlas focuser and a tilt adjuster.  I hope that will allow me to do the final tweaks I need to get the setup really humming.

My skies at home are pretty awful but I'm only a couple of hours drive from some quite dark skies.  During the winter we usually get a good proportion of clear, crisp nights.  I'm interested in a variety of targets and the Ceravolo + U16M should be flexible enough to deal with most of them.

Cheers,
Rick.

Hey Rick,

Are you a member of any astro club in Bris.?  I'm a member of SEQAS. They are coming up to my place for an Astro Camp over the June long weekend. Want  to join us? I have 5 acres where I live 30kms south of Kingaroy, just a 2-3 hr drive from Bris. My skies are Mv6.5. Where do you go for your skies?  PM me if you wish.

James

#18 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:42 AM

Hey Rick,

Are you a member of any astro club in Bris.?  I'm a member of SEQAS. They are coming up to my place for an Astro Camp over the June long weekend. Want  to join us? I have 5 acres where I live 30kms south of Kingaroy, just a 2-3 hr drive from Bris. My skies are Mv6.5. Where do you go for your skies?  PM me if you wish.

James

G'day James.  I'm a member of AAQ.  Would love to come up some time.  I'll send you a PM.

#19 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

Where my invite?

Can I come up as well... Maybe one day when I'm on business in Oz?

Enjoy your star party gents.

I'll just go and sulk somewhere in the corner..!

Clear Skies

Neil

#20 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

Don't worry.  We'll find a nice clear, dark spot for you if you ever come visit, Neil.

Thank you for your interest in our Astronomy Forum...
It looks like you haven't joined us yet?
Why don't you register to get all the features of being a member! Its free!