• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Starlock

Starlock

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

I've been wanting to keep my ED80 setup in the obsy but the one thing stopping me was the worry about mould growing on the optics :unsure:

One solution was to buy a desiccant cap for refractors, these look rather nice but are rather expensive for what they actually consist off which is simply a container with desiccant in which attaches to your scope via a 1.25-2" nose piece.

My solution isn't anything fancy but it costs peunuts and should work just as well, although yet to be tested :huh:

Basically I ordered 100x 1gram bags of Silica gel desiccant from Flea bay which cost me less than a pint of bear!

I then had a bit of a rummage around for any adaptor that fitted the focuser of my ED80.

I blanked off one end (Mine had a dust cap so I secured this in place with some double sided tape).

I placed about 10x 1 gram bags of the desiccant into the bottom of the 2" adaptor which was now blanked off, and secured them in place with a bit of tape so they wouldn't tip into the optics if the scope was turned upside down for some reason. Thats pretty much it!

I did go one step further and secured a desiccant bag inside the lens cap with double sided tape, so now either side of the lens cell should be protected from mould.

I think I'm now happy to leave the scope setup and see how it goes? I'll report back :)  .

Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1501.JPG
  • IMG_1502.JPG
  • IMG_1504.JPG
  • IMG_1505.JPG

#2 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

A cheap and sound solution to an important problem.

I alway collect these little bags of desiccant since they seem to ship with everything these days!

The Japanese even put small packets in food parcels!

Cheers

Neil.

#3 Starlock

Starlock

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

You've got to love the Japanese :)

Thanks Neil, I'm on the look out for a tea strainer so I can use the mesh instead of tape to hold the bags in place, might look a bit fancier then :lol:

#4 Starlock

Starlock

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

ok, I've now upgraded to the deluxe model which now includes a T-strainer mesh to hold the Silica gel packets in place.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1601.JPG
  • IMG_1602.JPG
  • IMG_1604.JPG

#5 DENEB

DENEB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Cheap & Cheerful, without breaking the bank.

#6 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

Looks like a professional job now...

when are you going to start selling them! :D  :lol:

#7 DENEB

DENEB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

Neil wants some for his Takahashi's, maybe we can get some small Takahashi stickers to put on them, just for Neil. :)

Edited by DENEB, 25 March 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#8 Starlock

Starlock

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

ah ah I might stick one on just for a laugh, although it might be more apt if it read Blu-Tak -ahashi considering some of the materials used to make it:D