#1 Darth Takahashi

Darth Takahashi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

Well since the imaging went up the creek without a paddle, I decided to throw some eyepieces into the Mewlon.

I have forgotten how nice it is just to look thought a telescope instead of imaging all of the time. The seeing was average and the transparency was poor, however, I could make out quite easily the equatorial bands and some of the detail in the polar region. however, this tended to flicker into and out of view due to the seeing. Jupiter was flanked quite close in by the main moons, they were all with 1.5 diameters of Jupiter.

The colour of the bands was descernable with the darker bands were obviously clearer on the night.

Started with my TAK 25mm LE, then moved to the WO 16mm and finished the session with the WO 7mm. I was going to try the Celestron barlow with the 25mm LE for a comparison but in the end I didn't!

Clear Skies

Darth (Neil.)

• Neil likes this

#2 astrodoc71

astrodoc71

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 508 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, New Mexico

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

Yes it's great to take breaks from our full time digital observing obsession and take in the visual planetary wonders! Good therapy for the soul!

Regards

Dave

daveandtelescope.wordpress.com

#3 tich

tich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNorthamptonshire.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

I have to admit it's nice now & then just to set up the mount & scope & just have a look around the skies. I find it much more relaxing experience & with the bad weather it's just not been worth the hassle of setting everything up.

• Neil likes this

Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher 250P, Skywatcher ST80, Celestron C6 SCT,
Zenith 10x50 Bins, NEQ6 Pro & EQ5, Canon 1000D Unmodded & Modded Canon 1000D, QHY5L-II & Philips SPC.
Various Hyperion Eyepieces & MKII Zoom Plus Other Scopes & Bits & Bobs.
darksite2_zps11a734b0.gif
http://centralmidlandstargazers.com/

#4 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

I agree with you guy's. Struggling to get everything setup in these marginal conditions is a recipe for frustration! :(

It can be quite relaxing to sit back and just look for a change. B)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jupiter, bands, moons

Thank you for your interest in our Astronomy Forum...
It looks like you haven't joined us yet?
Why don't you register to get all the features of being a member! Its free!