• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 astrodoc71

astrodoc71

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 508 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

Well perhaps not entirely qualifying as a true DIY, since I had to have my friend do the actual machining, but a very critical and inexpensive modification of my small piggybacked ED80 (Orion). I had purchased a Coronado SM40 HA filter but did not have a way to apply it to the refractor objective. I used an aluminum cap and had an aperture machined in the center with threads to accept the filter. The cap fits snug over the dewshield. I tape the dewshield to the main telescope so it doesn't inadvertently slide off! Now with that and the eyepiece filter at the other end, I have a very versatile HA imaging/viewing system! The total cost was $10 US. (Meade was charging $150 at the time for an ED80 adaptor!)

ED80 cap.jpg

mounted SM40.jpg

Regards,
Dave

daveandtelescope.wordpress.com

#2 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

Thats an excellent solution, very professional looking indeed.

Have you thought about anodising it BLACK maybe?

I have seen another amateur astronomers site somewhere on the internet where he uses clothing dyes to colour aluminium parts etc...

If I find it, I'll add the link here.

Very nice solution though Dave.

#3 astrodoc71

astrodoc71

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 508 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

Thanks Neil. I kind of like the 2-tone look myself though!

Regards,

Dave

#4 SlipperySquid

SlipperySquid

Urban Legend

• Administrators
  • 246 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

Great idea there mate! I would love to image our nearest star in HA but find the costs of a decent Solar Scope prohibitive, what sort of images are you getting with this set up Dave?

Clear skies,

Matt. 

#5 astrodoc71

astrodoc71

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 508 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

Hi Matt,

See the "HA Sun" post from yesterday. I also have a bunch of Sun stuff on my flickr page I picked up the solar filter several years ago and it cost me about 1/2 the price of a similar aperture dedicated solar scope to just convert the refractor I already had. 

Regards,

Dave

#6 Starlock

Starlock

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

What an excellent idea! it looks fantastic and has saved a fortune. I know your friend machined it but its still your idea and specs :) You guys could start making them as a little side line, I would go for red anodized myself ;)

#7 astrodoc71

astrodoc71

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 508 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

Thanks Chris. Actually I did throw that idea out there but he wasn't convinced it would be enough of a revenue stream in his case.
Too much of a "niche" market for him. But perhaps you would be up to the task? There would definitely be interest!. I like the red anodized suggestion!
Regards
Dave

#8 Starlock

Starlock

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

If only I had a lathe or even space for lathe Dave:( I used to be a machinist lathe setter/programmer as well so I can use them. I wouldn't mind a little side line:)