3 replies to this topic

#1 steveward53

steveward53

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

Had a short clear spell last night so I thought I'd tweak the PA on the HEQ5Pro using Robert Vices' excellent method  (http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=2838)  using the 1000D and the Mak180Pro .

The mount performs very well at  <600mm with the ED80Pro + F/F but 2700mm is another world entirely . . . 

I have a plan to guide the big Mak with the Syngider and an ETX105 @ 1490mm , so getting PA as close as can't hurt.

Picked Alphard in the South and the first run @ 45s each way was pretty good.

S2.jpg

A few tweaks and the tracks lined up so I went to 90s each way to fine tune over 3 minutes .

S5.jpg

S6.jpg

S9.jpg

Happy with that I swung East and repeated to tune the Lat adjustment.

E1.jpg

E3.jpg

E4.jpg

E5.jpg

Sorted . . . 

I should really have double checked things but the cloud was rolling in fast so I grabbed a few test frames of M13 instead.

6 x 45s @ ISO 1600 . . . Unguided at 2700mm . . . Focus wasn't checked . . .

M31Test.jpg

That'll do me for now . . .  :) . . . A fun hour well spent . . .I will recheck things next chance I get.

I'm well prepared for a barrage of  " that'll never work " comments . . .  :rolleyes: . . . but if we don't try these things we never get to know . . .

Afterall , there are plenty of folks out there that say you can't get 4 minutes unguided at 600mm . . .  :lol:

Steve.

Mak180Pro , 200PDS , ED80 Pro , ST120 , ETX105.

HEQ5ProSynscan , EQ3-2.

Canon EOS1000D(unmodded) , SPC900NC.Std , SPC900NC Mono-chipped.

SW Synguider thru Mercury 705 , "Scopium" Herschel Wedge.

13'-6" pier for Solar..... 

#2 Starlock

Starlock

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 291 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

Hey Steve:) Good drift alligning report its nice to see it illustrated, I've only just got mine sorted with my newish EQ6.

At nearly 3 metres unguided thats impressive! I think if you dropped it down to 30 seconds the stars would be perfectly round but it does show potential for guiding at that FL, I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't get 2 to 3 minutes guided if people can get 10 minutes at 1000mm:)

I've managed the odd 3 minute unguided sub @ 600mm with my old mk1 HEQ5 with servo motors, 4 minutes is impressive though Steve :)  I might push up from 2 minutes to 2.5 mins next time out and see how many subs a keep with round stars?

Good luck with the guiding I look forwards to hearing how it goes :)

#3 steveward53

steveward53

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

It's probably not the greatest imaging idea at f15  , but I figured that if I could get reasonable subs at 3 or 4 minutes that I could have a go at some of the small planetary nebs out there like the Owl .

I do like a challenge . . . just need another bit of clear sky .

I've got a guidescope mount coming in next week to put the ETX105 on in a side by side set-up and the Synguider has given me 30 minutes at 600mm so I remain hopeful .

We shall see . . .  :rolleyes:

Steve.

Mak180Pro , 200PDS , ED80 Pro , ST120 , ETX105.

HEQ5ProSynscan , EQ3-2.

Canon EOS1000D(unmodded) , SPC900NC.Std , SPC900NC Mono-chipped.

SW Synguider thru Mercury 705 , "Scopium" Herschel Wedge.

13'-6" pier for Solar..... 

#4 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

Don't under estimate the Owl, its a tricky one... I have had one go at it with the Mewlon before the clouds stopped me!

The drift alignement article is excellent and I like the explanatory images as well, here a picture really is worth a thousand words. :)

I normally use Metaguide for this since I still need to setup each night. It has an excellent feature where you can see the drift straight away and then make the adjustments etc...

Great work Steve, thanks for sharing the article and your results so far.

Clear Skies

Neil.