8 replies to this topic

#1 Lee

Lee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:36 AM

I picked up a f/4 newt recently, and so far really like it, although I realised I'd need a low-profile focuser soon so I could fit my filter wheel in the imaging chain..... but after trying to re-focus after a slew, with the CCD/focuser at an insane height/angle, whilst peering under my extended focusing arm so I could see the PC, which was looping 3s exposures... I decided I needed a focus motor too.... and my beautiful wife gave me the green light.... so one shiny blue moonlite, with hi-res stepper/controller is on the way! Tell me I'm going to love it..... :)

Lee

#2 steveward53

steveward53

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge , Suffolk , UK.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

You'll love it . . .

I have USB focus control via SW focus motors and Dions' Homebrew controller on all my scopes , I'd be lost without it.

Everything done from a distance and the finesse of touch is great , the only time I go to the scope is to pop on or remove the Baht mask.

Steve.

Mak180Pro , 200PDS , ED80 Pro , ST120 , ETX105.

HEQ5ProSynscan , EQ3-2.

Canon EOS1000D(unmodded) , SPC900NC.Std , SPC900NC Mono-chipped.

SW Synguider thru Mercury 705 , "Scopium" Herschel Wedge.

13'-6" pier for Solar..... 

#3 astrodoc71

astrodoc71

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 508 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, New Mexico

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

Great focuser! I have a 12V servo version on my newt for about 6 years now. Holds a ton of weight with no problem.

Regards

Dave

daveandtelescope.wordpress.com

#4 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

I have their 2.5" version on my F4 Newton and its perfect in every respect except one!

I can't fit my 3" Wynne corrector in it!!! Still they are building a new 3" focuser which will be available soon!

Mines Moonlite RED and its beautiful. :P Contrasts nicely with my carbon fiber tube. :D

Clear Skies

Neil.

#5 Lee

Lee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

What's even better is when I checked their webpage last week I estimated it would all cost c. US$1k.... I'd calculated wrong, and it was only about US$600.... :) I'm eyeing off a motorised filter wheel now.... gee I'm getting lazy!

#6 Lee

Lee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

Wow.... this is one nice focuser..... delivered across the Pacific in 5d.... Australia Post could take lessons from that.... Stepper/controller painless to install, integrates beautifully with my capture software.... now I just need to bolt the sucker to the scope!

#7 astrodoc71

astrodoc71

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 508 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, New Mexico

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

Congrats! Can we see some pics?

Regards

Dave

daveandtelescope.wordpress.com

#8 Lee

Lee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Done... Easy install, should have just removed the spider first - would have been much quicker, I got the four little hex head bolts into the focuser base through the tube holes, but then couldn't tighten them properly, without knocking the secondary too much.... all re-collimated and back on mount, ready to properly rebalance and recable tomorrow night....

A little scope *****? ;) (can't get any euphemisms for a 'dirty pic' through!)

moonlite.jpg

#9 Lee

Lee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

First light (sucker hole stuff)... I am impressed.... this baby is going to make imaging with an f/4 newt much easier.... I do have to swap out the small spacer they install by default for a thicker one though, ran out of focus travel and had to pull the MPCC out of the barrel a little.....

Thank you for your interest in our Astronomy Forum...
It looks like you haven't joined us yet?
Why don't you register to get all the features of being a member! Its free!