#1 kepler22b

kepler22b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

i have my new cge pro on its way i decided to get it because its so cheap now

today at 4200 euro i was offered it at 4000 id say it has a lot to do with the

new eq-8 at the same price anybody got one.

The Celestron CGE PRO mount has not received a lot of press here on SGL. Clearly at around £5k it is never going to be a mass-market product and it's size and weight means it best-suited to a permanent setup in a dome or roll-off shed. You are not likely to find one setup at a Star Party. Nevertheless it does sell and customers are pleased, we have no complaints and zero returns icon_salut.gif

Celestron have been listening to end-users and recently incorporated a number of enhancements. Improvements like these usually happen quietly in the background, often even dealers are not aware, but we received a communication from Celestron today that I would like to share because it shows their commitment to this flagship product:

We have recently implemented 8 design and process improvements; 2 electronic, 2 mechanical, 2 manufacturing improvements and 2 firmware updates.

Electrical

• A new electronics design adds additional layer of protection from static electricity.
  • We have increased maximum power to the motors allowing for smoother yet more powerful operation.

Mechanical

• Modified motor design to the high quality USA made Pittman DC servo motors for added reliability.
  • Spring loaded RA worm block minimizing backlash and optimizing gear teeth engagement producing better astroimaging results.

Manufacturing process enhancement

• Worm gears and worm were lapped together (creating a custom set) to further reduce periodic error and provide smooth tracking performance, out of the box.
  • Each worm gear is hand matched with the main axis shaft to obtain best fit possible.

Firmware update

• New custom speed rate 9 feature allows adjustable maximum speed of both motors.
  • The new NexStar+ HC with multi-language capability is now shipping with the CGE Pro.

We are pleased to share these improvements with you.

This is from SGL forum i notice theirs not many problems with the mount now as 

their was in 2009-2010 when it was new this will be my last mount and scope 

for a very long time the cgem dx was just not able to carry the payload of 38lbs

and thats before using a guider maybe 42lbs with everything no way was i

selling my TS 150mm Apo just to keep a cgem dx.

#2 DENEB

DENEB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

congrats on your new mount. We want pics.

#3 astrodoc71

astrodoc71

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 508 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

Looks great! It appears you could go mobile with it out into the field although they don't say how much it weighs. 

Regards

Dave

daveandtelescope.wordpress.com

#4 kepler22b

kepler22b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

well dave this mount is not portable i have a pier out my back thats where

it will be i should have it tomorrow but no pier plate i use to dream about

this mount when i first seen it now look what happens i get my dream

scope and mount and my roll off roof shed.

#5 kepler22b

kepler22b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

#6 kepler22b

kepler22b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

The motors and smoothness and power of them is amazing but where the cge pro

fails as we all know the design the saddle for the love of god i tell you and the

latitude bolts the design is bad lets not beat around the bush it makes the cgem dx

look like it was made by Takahashi wait a minute it was copied after Takahashi EM-200.

ok so it fails big time on the design but it makes up for it with the new motors and 

the 90lbs payload i put my six inch Triplet refractor on with DSLR and finderscope

altogether 42lbs it was like their was nothing on at all they say the payload is 90lbs

a good few people say thats just being safe it can carry more its really a 120lbs

mount but celestron cut it to 90lbs to be safe.