The Celestron CGE PRO mount has not received a lot of press here on SGL. Clearly at around £5k it is never going to be a mass-market product and it's size and weight means it best-suited to a permanent setup in a dome or roll-off shed. You are not likely to find one setup at a Star Party. Nevertheless it does sell and customers are pleased, we have no complaints and zero returns
Celestron have been listening to end-users and recently incorporated a number of enhancements. Improvements like these usually happen quietly in the background, often even dealers are not aware, but we received a communication from Celestron today that I would like to share because it shows their commitment to this flagship product:
We have recently implemented 8 design and process improvements; 2 electronic, 2 mechanical, 2 manufacturing improvements and 2 firmware updates.
- A new electronics design adds additional layer of protection from static electricity.
- We have increased maximum power to the motors allowing for smoother yet more powerful operation.
- Modified motor design to the high quality USA made Pittman DC servo motors for added reliability.
- Spring loaded RA worm block minimizing backlash and optimizing gear teeth engagement producing better astroimaging results.
Manufacturing process enhancement
- Worm gears and worm were lapped together (creating a custom set) to further reduce periodic error and provide smooth tracking performance, out of the box.
- Each worm gear is hand matched with the main axis shaft to obtain best fit possible.
- New custom speed rate 9 feature allows adjustable maximum speed of both motors.
- The new NexStar+ HC with multi-language capability is now shipping with the CGE Pro.
We are pleased to share these improvements with you.