3 replies to this topic

#1 astrodoc71

astrodoc71

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

All,

Trying to figure out what FR to use with the ED80/Moonlite set up. Specifically for the Sun. I need to figure out how to get a full disc as the mosaic thing is killing me. So it's an ED80 f/7 or 560mm. Now I tried a 0.5 and can't quite get there. I need about 5mm-8mm of additional infocus. Problem is perhaps the blocking filter diagonal? Will a 0.8X do the job? If so, it looks like these are not easy to come by. The cheapest I found is from Orion for about 125US but it is a 2" with threads designed to thread into their focuser. Ideally I need one like the 0.5 I already have which is a 1.25" that threads onto the camera. Maybe that doesn't exist?

Thanks

Dave

daveandtelescope.wordpress.com

#2 astrodoc71

astrodoc71

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 508 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

No actually I don't think you can get a 1.25" 0.8. Least expensive option is a shorter camera nosepiece. I have one on order so we'll see how that works!

#3 DENEB

DENEB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

Are you thinking about something like a 1.25" atik 0.5x reducer, i think !

#4 astrodoc71

astrodoc71

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 508 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

I actually bought a 1.25" 0.5x at the show. I think it was an antares or OPT, not sure...but only $19US. It's one of those that threads onto the camera nosepiece. The camera is a lumenera (skynyx) which I use for solar and spectroscopy. Problem is that with that reducer on, I don't have enough in-focus. I'm close though, maybe another 5mm-8mm would do it. Thta's why my latest thoughts were on trying a shorter nosepiece. These are not hard to find for this camera type.