• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

I've been giving some thought to flocking my 200PDS, but does it repay the cost and effort?  There are numerous guides to carrying out the work and  the anticipated benefits, but I've yet to find any discussion of real improvements.  Is that because the results are marginal, and not really evident under the light polluted British skies.  I'd be interest to here from anyone who has flocked their scope and noticed a significant improvement in contrast. 

Roy

Roy

200PDS; 102mm Mak; ST80; NEQ6

QHY5 finder-guider

self modded EOS 1100D & Baader MPCC

SPC900NC LX modded webcam

#2 DENEB

DENEB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

I never have taken a comparison shot of a object - flocked or without, but there is a difference visually as I have experienced.

Your better off going to the nearest wilkinson store & buying about 3 rolls of the flocking material for £5/roll.

Nadeem.

Edited by DENEB, 22 April 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#3 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

Hello Nadeem,

At £5 per role its worth a trip to our nearest Wilkinsons in Reading.  I think its the same material that FLO sell for £7 per role. 

Roy

Roy

QHY5 finder-guider

#4 tich

tich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNorthamptonshire.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

I've used the rolls from Wilkinsons & it didn't present much of a problem to do.

Here's 2 pictures before & after.

217838_10151109022918434_450635563_n.jpg

532217_10151109023013434_1383831098_n.jp

It's exactly the same stuff that FLO sell so you'd be better off going to your local Wilkos if they haven't got any then you can go to Wilkinsons online as that's where I got mine from.

• Darth Takahashi likes this

Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher 250P, Skywatcher ST80, Celestron C6 SCT,
Zenith 10x50 Bins, NEQ6 Pro & EQ5, Canon 1000D Unmodded & Modded Canon 1000D, QHY5L-II & Philips SPC.
Various Hyperion Eyepieces & MKII Zoom Plus Other Scopes & Bits & Bobs.
darksite2_zps11a734b0.gif
http://centralmidlandstargazers.com/

#5 DENEB

DENEB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

correct, its exactly the same stuff. Order it online & get it delivered to your nearest wilkinsons for collection.

Edited by DENEB, 22 April 2013 - 08:35 PM.

#6 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

Thanks Titch,

It certainly looks to be an improvement, but have you noticed a difference in performance?  I use my scope almost exclusively for photography, and I'd be interested to hear if anyone has noticed an improvement in image quality.

Roy

Roy

QHY5 finder-guider

#7 Starlock

Starlock

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

I've often pondered the same thing Roy, good post :)

I've not done the practical on this but my thoughts are that flocking clearly drastically reduces internal reflections and it can't be ideal for the scattered light from internal reflections to register on your sensor. Like you say it would be great to see some practical evidence of this.

In the not too distant future I'll be picking up another 6" fast newt so I'm thinking that I would be missing a trick if I don't put this to the test prior to flocking the inside plus blacken the sides and back of the secondary and focuser draw tube with black board paint. :) 

Chris   

#8 astrodoc71

astrodoc71

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 508 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, New Mexico

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

I think if you want the absolute best possible image results you have to do everything you can to all aspects of the system, which includes what you're doing; even though it maybe far down on the list of things that make the greatest differences. I painted the inside of mine when I restored it for imaging but I have no comparison to draw any definitive conclusions from

Regards

Dave

daveandtelescope.wordpress.com

#9 Starlock

Starlock

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

I might be able to perform a bit of a controlled test pre and post flocking sooner than I thought as I've just bought a second hand 150pds from Astro buy B)

#10 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

I may be able to do likewise in a month or two. That said, there will be a range of external variables that effect the results and make before and after comparisons difficult to interpret. I suspect that Dave's right and flocking is just one of a number of measures, each producing small improvements that taken together can make a big difference.

Roy

Roy

QHY5 finder-guider

#11 tich

tich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNorthamptonshire.

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

Sorry I haven't replied back to this post until now due to work commitments. Here's a comparison between 2 images I did of M27

They are both done with the same camera scope mount ISO setting & a single exposure of 90 seconds. I have slightly darkened the background on both pictures but it has only been very slight

Unflocked low res version taken last year;

398759_10151252271163434_1748022214_n.jp

This one was took in the early hours of Sunday morning & the ISS just caught the edge of the field of view in this shot.

7267_10151506579908434_647775758_n.jpg

The only difference was my location as the first was taken at home which I do suffer with LP & the second was at a dark sky site although dawn was on the horizon so it wasn't totally dark. If anyone has any other images they could share like a before & after then we could make more comparisons as seeing conditions would probably factor into these two images as well.

Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher 250P, Skywatcher ST80, Celestron C6 SCT,
Zenith 10x50 Bins, NEQ6 Pro & EQ5, Canon 1000D Unmodded & Modded Canon 1000D, QHY5L-II & Philips SPC.
Various Hyperion Eyepieces & MKII Zoom Plus Other Scopes & Bits & Bobs.
darksite2_zps11a734b0.gif
http://centralmidlandstargazers.com/

#12 DENEB

DENEB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

Its funny, I have even noticed the range of colour differences within tubes vary.

For example I notice on Skywatcher open tube Reflectors, minus the quattro models the inner colour of the tube is somewhat of a Dark Grey. But not black.

On my Celestron C6N 6" Reflector the inner tube is actually painted Black, so no flocking needed. Im sure painting the inner tubes black would not make a difference in costs.

I really don't understand why manufactures do not supply Black as standard, not dark grey.

I think the biggest drawback of flocking, is getting the flaky material specks on the primary mirror.

#13 Starlock

Starlock

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

Wouldn't flocking have the edge over blackboard paint in that its a textured surface which will absorb light more effectively? I do agree that getting flocking fibres on the primary would be a bit annoying though, I heard that some people vacuum clean the inside of the tube before re-assembly to get rid off the loose fibres and they seem happy with the results, I guess you've just got to be careful not to over do it else you'll end up with bold flocking :D  

#14 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

I flocked my 200PDS a couple of days ago and had the first light last night. If there was an improvement it wasn't immediately obvious in the subs, but that said the seeing conditions were awful. Perhaps under better conditions I will notice a difference, but at the very least it looks pretty.

Roy

Roy

QHY5 finder-guider

#15 Andyfx

Andyfx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

I've often pondered the same thing Roy, good post :)

I've not done the practical on this but my thoughts are that flocking clearly drastically reduces internal reflections and it can't be ideal for the scattered light from internal reflections to register on your sensor. Like you say it would be great to see some practical evidence of this.

In the not too distant future I'll be picking up another 6" fast newt so I'm thinking that I would be missing a trick if I don't put this to the test prior to flocking the inside plus blacken the sides and back of the secondary and focuser draw tube with black board paint. :) 

Chris

Shoulda had the orange beast lol ;-)

#16 Starlock

Starlock

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

I was tempted Andy.

#17 Andyfx

Andyfx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

I can only assume the bloke is happy with it and is imaging away, and i've not seen it up for resale on ABS.

Thank you for your interest in our Astronomy Forum...
It looks like you haven't joined us yet?
Why don't you register to get all the features of being a member! Its free!