#1 gasman

gasman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

Hi guys

(Note I posted this on the SGL site but thought it might be useful to others posting it here too!)

Well I`ve gone and done it!. After much research and what seems like months of asking, pestering and generally making a nuisance of myself with other owners I finally ordered and received today my SW Espirit 120. I must have mentally bought nearly every refractor on the planet from Skywatcher to Taks to Apm`s to TEC`s to Teleskop`s offerings and back to SW again, I even decided on a WO 132 at one point until I read Neil`s report!!!. A while back I read of problems with the Espirit 100 and then of difficulties in finding a matching flattener for the 120 as SW stopped making them for some unknown reason (I hear one is now in development!) so it was with not a little trepidation that I placed an order with The shop that shall not be named(who have been simply excellent BTW) and received what looked for all the world like a coffin today The 30 days returns policy from the supplie really made it a no brainer, I had nothing to loose!.

IMG_1353.JPG

and `three` opened boxes later!

IMG_1354.JPG

and then finally the sturdy case itself complete with other bits and bobs. I have to say although it would be highly desireable and useful if you have to dismantle your scope every night I think its an awful waste of a good case if you have a permanent setup like I have.

IMG_1355.JPG

so out with the old friend

IMG_1358.JPG

and in with the new

IMG_1359.JPG

The flattener I bought is a Hotech one and needs a distance of 55mm from the back of the Hotech to the ccd chip so I got this handy little adjustable T mount adaptor because my Atik 314 has a flange to ccd distance of 13mm so I needed a spacer of 42mm which this adjustable Baader adaptor gives (it shows 40mm plus 2mm for the locking ring)

IMG_1370.JPG

So amazingly it was clear tonight so I tried the supplied Skywatcher 28mm eyepiece and first focus my heart sank as what was showing was clearly pinched optics so I then tried my Pentax XL 14mm eyepiece and to say I was relieved is an understatement the focus snapped into view showing clear Airy rings inside and out of focus pheeew!!! so clearly it pays NOT to rely on the eyepieces bundled with scopes .

I did a quick 60 sec shot with the Atik with no guiding, no darks, lights or whatever just to see what I had.
Just centered on M57. Now I`m no imager (as you can tell!) and not sure I`ve got the Hotech setup correctly but first impressions seem to be very good.

m57 160513.jpg

I need to see what spectra taken with the Star Analyser through the Espirit looks like now and get a decent set of eyepieces. Oh and try and post some better images :blink: .

Regards
Steve

#2 Starlock

Starlock

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

Congratulations on your latest addition, thats quite a scope you've bought there! Also the field looks lovely and flat on your M57 shot which bodes well :) What F/ratio is the 120? I know the 80 is f/5.

#3 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

Very nice Steve,

Looks like a solidly built telescope. I guess the captan at the back is so that you can rotate the focuser?

If I didn't know better I'd say that it looks very much like an APM / TEC.

Can'y wait to find out how it performs for you. At least, you have had a good first light and have found the ring nebula in Lyra.  :lol:

I hope you enjoy your new telescope, refractors are so much easier to use than reflectors!

Clear Skies

Neil.

#4 gasman

gasman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

Thanks guys

SL the 120 is F/7. Might investigate reducers for it later?.

Neil yes the focuser does rotate!

regards

Steve

#5 kepler22b

kepler22b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

very nice scope welcome to the triplet club.

#6 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

That does look the business!  Good job I'm not rich or I'd have a house full of scopes including this little beauty!! 

#7 astrodoc71

astrodoc71

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

Very nice! Look forward to seeing what it can do  :)

daveandtelescope.wordpress.com

#8 DENEB

DENEB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

Now you have no excuses in showing us a decent image with the scope !  :)

#9 RickS

RickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:23 PM

Nice scope!

#10 gasman

gasman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

Hi Guys

Wasn`t sure if this should go in the imaging section but as I`m still trying out the Espirit here goes!.

Tried a second attempt at imaging last night and because I`m using a Star analyser in my filter wheel needing a distance of 50mm chip to grating I couldn`t also have the flattener fitted at the same time (which needs 55mm) so tried these shots without the flattener. I still haven`t sussed out how to get rid of dust bunnies using flats which as you can see there a few but I`ll get there.

Now I was expecting some curvature at the edges without the flattener but I can`t detect any but I`ll leave that to more experienced folk to decide if there is some. I did a stack of red,blue,green (binned x2) and lum (binned x1) shots in photoshop and manually aligned them so they might not quite be in line but I`d be pleased to hear others comments of where/how to progress further. Changed it from fits to jpeg to attach to post.

Thanks

Steve

#11 gasman

gasman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

Hi Guys

Wasn`t sure if this should go in the imaging section but as I`m still trying out the Espirit here goes!.

Tried a second attempt at imaging last night and because I`m using a Star analyser in my filter wheel needing a distance of 50mm chip to grating I couldn`t also have the flattener fitted at the same time (which needs 55mm) so tried these shots without the flattener. I still haven`t sussed out how to get rid of dust bunnies using flats which as you can see there a few but I`ll get there.

Now I was expecting some curvature at the edges without the flattener but I can`t detect any but I`ll leave that to more experienced folk to decide if there is some. I did a stack of red,blue,green (binned x2) and lum (binned x1) shots in photoshop and manually aligned them so they might not quite be in line but I`d be pleased to hear others comments of where/how to progress further. Changed it from fits to jpeg to attach to post.

Thanks

Steve

m57-260513.jpg