2 replies to this topic

#1 dcrowson

dcrowson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

Asteroid 285263 1998 QE2 recently passed by Earth and is heading back out. It is thought to have a diameter of about 1.7 miles and was approximately 11.4 magnitude when I imaged it.

Luminance – 400 x 15 seconds – binned 2x2

Imaged from Dardenne Prairie, Missouri (a red zone) June 3rd, 2013 with a SBIG ST-8300M on an Astro-Tech AT90EDT at f/6.7 603mm.

Luminance Stacked Image

Video

This one was moving pretty fast so I could only do fifteen second exposures which led to the grainy images.

Dan

#2 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

Excellent work Dan.

I must admit that I couldn't quite pick it out in the single image. The video is very clear though despite it been a little grainy you and clearly see the asteroid climbing in the night sky.

Clear Skies

Neil.

#3 dcrowson

dcrowson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

Excellent work Dan.

I must admit that I couldn't quite pick it out in the single image. The video is very clear though despite it been a little grainy you and clearly see the asteroid climbing in the night sky.

Clear Skies

Neil.

Thanks for looking. It is fairly dim and moving real quick so I could only take 15 second exposures with my setup. I can just barely see the line in the image. I also don't think it helped in that I had four hundred images stacked, too.

Dan

Thank you for your interest in our Astronomy Forum...
It looks like you haven't joined us yet?
Why don't you register to get all the features of being a member! Its free!