4 replies to this topic

#1 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

This isn't going to be a terribly long review and some of you might want to look away now since as many of you know I'm an imager!  :lol: Therefore, I don't use my eyepieces that much.

The UWAN series 

William Optics UWAN series have a 82-deg field of view and come in focal length 4, 7, 16 and 28mm. I personally have the 28mm TANK, along with the 16 and 7mm eyepieces. I will not be comparing these eyepieces to other brands since I don't have a lot of eyepiece, being a self confessed imager... 

The UWAN series of eyepiece are all well made and feel very solid and are black anodized. The barrels have a conical shape to keep the eyepiece safely in the focuser, even when using a compression rings. There is a nice rubber ring surrounding the eye that can be rotated to shield your eye from stray light and to provide a comfortable viewing position etc... The lens coating are a deep blue/purple and work very well in controlling reflections. The optical performance is excellent with stars clean and crisp to the edge of the field of view with no noticeable astigmatism precent. 

By far my favorite eyepiece is the UWAN 28mm, it really does give a pleasing field of view and high contrast stars across the field of view. 

I have only ever seen signs of colour in the eyepiece during daylight and it is restricted to the last 10% of the field of view, to me it presents itself has a golden brown hue...

Are these as good as Televue Nagelers, I don't know, I don't own one to be able to make a comparison.

UWAN28.jpg

My favourite eyepiece when actually looking at the night sky.  :D

#2 Brantuk

Brantuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

I've used the WO 28mm Uwan and own a couple of Naglers - and the TV kit is superior but the differences are slim. For a much lesser price the Uwans represent very good vfm at the higher end of the eyepiece ranges. Good review Neil :)

#3 hanksta

hanksta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

i read these are the same e/ps as the nirvana range. they do get good reviews.

#4 stargzr

stargzr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationKansas, USA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

Neil & all,

Just adding my 2 cents worth.  I only have ONE eyepiece that is not a Tele-Vue, and that is a Celestron Ultima 18mm that came with my C-11. I have been a "convinced" Tele-Vue user ever since getting my first one, a 2" format 40mm WideField, back in 1990.  I now have replaced that with a 41mm Panoptic, which is an awesome widefield rig!  My Televue collection includes a 31mm Type 5 Nagler, 20mm Type 2 Nagler, 16mm Type 2 Nagler and a 12mm Type 4 Nagler. My

Pelican container is HEAVY!   Luckily for my pocketbook, all these oculars were aquired over a long period of time.  I REALLY enjoy all of them, and think they complement the C-11 quite well, as well as my 80mm f/7.5 APO refractor.

Stargzr

Land of Oz Observatory

http://www.astrolandofoz.com

#5 jerryTheC

jerryTheC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

I have the 28mm UWAN - it's the only eyepiece I have so far that has a cool down time :) which probably isn't too surprising given the size :). Once it's settled down, though, the view is excellent.

Thank you for your interest in our Astronomy Forum...
It looks like you haven't joined us yet?
Why don't you register to get all the features of being a member! Its free!