• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 peter shah

peter shah

Advanced

• Moderators
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:26 PM

Love them or hate them, here is a scope eye's view of my new laser sight and Vega....I must admit I only hate them if someone is waving one around while I'm imaging......other than that its a real good way of seeing where things are at a glance....or giving yourself and others a tour around the sky.

Its actually designed as a rifle sight, but great because it has adjustment to zero it in....it also has the on/off switch either as a push button on the back or as a cable release type.

Attached Thumbnails

• Vega Laser sight.jpg
  • laser sight.jpg
  • scope laser.jpg

#2 Aenima

Aenima

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:00 AM

I have often wondered how well they work as finders. Can you rely on one to do say 2 star alignment on a goto scope for instance?

Also they look quite impressive. :)

Regards,

Aenima

SW 200p/EQ5 + Canon 300D(IR removed). Spc900nc - LX-toucam (as guidecam/finderscope) - 3X Tele-vue Barlow - SW 2" LPF - 10mm 25mm EP's - Bahtinov mask - 1.25" Skyglow moon filter. 

#3 peter shah

peter shah

Advanced

• Moderators
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

They work surprisingly well. When stood next to the scope the laser looks like its pointing directly at  Vega stood away from the scope you can see it very slightly off.  I don't see it being a problem for star alignment. I don't have a finder I've used a Telrad for years and its just as easy to use....point and go!

#4 Aenima

Aenima

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

Nice one, thanks - since turning my finder into a guiderscope i'm looking for an easy way to align it without th finder (while the camra is attached).

Cheers, will give it a try, :)

Regards,

Aenima

SW 200p/EQ5 + Canon 300D(IR removed). Spc900nc - LX-toucam (as guidecam/finderscope) - 3X Tele-vue Barlow - SW 2" LPF - 10mm 25mm EP's - Bahtinov mask - 1.25" Skyglow moon filter. 

#5 peter shah

peter shah

Advanced

• Moderators
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

To be honest there is no easy way just practice ;)

#6 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

That looks like a very nice solution Peter.

Where can you buy these things? I especially like the rifle sight adjustments on it to align it with the telescope. I have only seen the ones that you put inside the parallel rings and haven't bothered with them for that very reason. Too much faffing about just to align them!!!

Clear Skies

Neil.

#7 peter shah

peter shah

Advanced

• Moderators
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

That looks like a very nice solution Peter.

Where can you buy these things? I especially like the rifle sight adjustments on it to align it with the telescope. I have only seen the ones that you put inside the parallel rings and haven't bothered with them for that very reason. Too much faffing about just to align them!!!

Clear Skies

Neil.

Ebay!.........  I'm with you on that Neil, I've had a laser pointer for ages but could never be bothered to mount it on the scope....the universal mount for a pointer cost as much as one of these adjustable rifle sights,  just doesn't make sense

#8 DENEB

DENEB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

I just use a skywatcher 9x50 finder, its good enough for me.

#9 Starlock

Starlock

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 291 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

I'm liking the shot looking up the tube seeing the weave of the CF, the Telrad, then the mad green Sci-Fi laser, very cool! I know a lot of the professional observatories use lasers and they have crossed my mind, I'm happy enough with my RACI and Telrad especially when (like you say) you consider the cost of laser pointers and the mounts. good Ebay solution Peter. Astro outlets should stock these!