• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Andyfx

Andyfx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

I modded my own 1100D sometime back as described by Gary Honis i.e. removed the 2nd filter and left in the IR/UV cut filter. Now I have heard from many sources now that the Canon filter may not be the most efficient for astronomy, therefore I propose the following for anyone yet to mod their camera:

• Disassemble the 1100D and remove the entire filter assembly (black plastic unit holding both filters).
  • Re-assemble.
  • Pop in an Astronomik CCD CLS clip filter (will also keep dust off the sensor).
  • Alternatively use just a CLS clip filter and an additional 2" IR/UV cut.

My thinking is that by doing so the camera should be as good as it can get without adding active cooling etc, also if you ever want to sell on the camera or use it as Canon intended, then all you do is pop the filter assembly back in.

Any thoughts?

#2 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

Thats fine so long as you except that you can not use the camera's autofocus system for normal photography.

The reason that the alternative filter / glass cover for the CCD is offer is that it has the same refractive index as the original canon filter/cover, therefore, the camera still works for normal photography with a custom white balance of course.

In the end its up to you! If the camera will only be used for astronomy I agree that there is no need to fit a replacement filter/cover over the CCD sensor.

Clear Skies

Neil.

#3 Andyfx

Andyfx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

My thoughts exactly Neil. I just think that if it will be a dedicated astro camera then it'd be best to get the most performance out of it, and yet maintain a fall back if you ever wanted to re-instate the original filters and sell it.

Also perhaps a 2" version of the CCD CLS would be a better idea so that it could be used later for a dedicated CCD camera..... Although that may allow dust ingress.

#4 Starlock

Starlock

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

Hey Andymeister! :) I say if you've got another camera for daytime then go for it!

As for re-sale, I think either way really, a full spectrum modded 1100D should still sell if the price is right, even if you don't replace the glass for focus. From personal experience I think they sell better if you package the CLS clip filter with the camera, the reason I think this is because a while ago I was trying to sell my Modded Canon 500D along with about 3 other people trying to sell theres, none of them were budging so I decided to up the price by about 60-70 quid but include my CLS CCD clip and it sold straight the way and with more than one enquiry! Weird I know but I guess they are aimed at new imagers and I guess a lot of new imagers don't want the hassle of hunting for even more bits and pieces when there are so many bits and pieces involved with AP to contend with as is :D

I think the 2" filter would be fine if you kept either you coma corrector or your field flattener on the camera and the 2" filter screwed onto that. this should be dust tight, my cheapo SW LP filter is in this configuration and I've not noticed any dust ingress :)

Oh yeah Andy I've been trying to find our email convo so I can reply but I can't find it, I wasn't being rude or anything :)

Chris

#5 Andyfx

Andyfx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

Hi Chris mate, how's it going?  :D

I completely agree with you and you've made some very good points. The reason I posted the topic was because I was thinking about what I'd have done differently, if I was about to mod my camera, and had the information I have now.

I think it maybe a better idea to simply strip that part out and keep safe, not only that but for anyone a bit heavy handed it maybe an easier modification route, rather than trying to pry out delicate filters. Also as mentioned the Ha response is supposed to be better if you remove the Canon IR/UV cut and use a dedicated alternative.

Btw don't worry about the email I'll send it again in a moment, I'd like to have a catch up and see what your latest projects are...... Is it a big ol APO or a monster reflector now? ;)

#6 Starlock

Starlock

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:26 AM

Agreed Andy, if the whole glass housing comes out easier than just trying to remove the front glass, and you have a daytime camera, then its absulutely a very sensible thing to do in my opinion. Thanks for posting this Andy it will give folks who are about to mod their more modern DSLR's more options to think about, and I am one of those people having not long got back on the 1100D wagon :)

There was no choice with the cameras I've modded so far (300D and 350D) as there was only one filter to remove, plus soldering to do which the 1100D doesn't have, I'm not the best soldier in the world, nor welder from what I remember :D

Chris

Thanks for resending the email, I'll bring you upto speed tomorrow mate and likewise I hope when you have time of course :)